Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers soar up the table

1 April 2014

Hallam Hope and Tom Soares put Bury into top half of the table

A late Tom Soares header was enough to secure three points for Bury on Tuesday night as they beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 at the JD Stadium.


Hallam Hope had opened the scoring for the Shakers in the third minute but that was cancelled out by a deflected Ollie Clarke strike. Soares then scored his first goal since October in the 79th minute to win the game.


David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven from the win against Northampton but there was a change on the bench as Richard Hinds replaced Nathan Cameron.


One of the goalscorers from Saturday, Hallam Hope, started the game brightly and scored his second in two games in the 3rd minute. Hope brought the ball down on the edge of the area and fired into the bottom corner past Steve Mildenhall with minimal backlift.


GOAL: Bury 1-0 Bristol Rovers (Hallam Hope 3)


Following the early goal the game settled down and it wasn’t until the 23rd minute when the next opportunity was created. Chris Hussey swung a corner into the box and Danny Nardiello met it with a bullet header but it was straight at Mildenhall in the Bristol Rovers goal.


A minute later Andrew Tutte went close as he took the ball past his man and fired a shot away at goal, only to see it flash wide of the post.


Hope was a constant problem for Bristol Rovers, similar to Saturday’s performance, and was unlucky not to set Danny Nardiello up for an easy finish with 29 minutes gone. He charged past Tom Parkes and sent a low ball into the box for it to be intercepted at the last minute by Dan Woodards.


Brian Jensen was called into action just before half time as he denied John Joe O’Toole from close range before watching Kaid Mohamed’s effort onto the roof of the net.


However ‘The Beast’ couldn’t do anything about the Bristol Rovers equaliser a minute later after a long range Ollie Clarke shot took a massive deflection and wrong footed him.


GOAL: Bury 1-1 Bristol Rovers; Ollie Clarke


The Gas could have been ahead though before half time but once again Jensen denied them. Lee Brown whipped a ball into the box that was met by Matt Harrold and Jensen pulled off a great reflex save to keep the scores level.


HT: Bury 1-1 Bristol Rovers


The same two Bristol Rovers players combined in the 53rd minute but Harrold didn’t get enough contact on the ball and sent it wide of the goal without a Bury player around him.


The Shakers responded well to the early Bristol Rovers pressure and the strike force of Hallam Hope and Danny Nardiello were creating havoc in their back line. Hope drilled the ball across the face of goal but once again it was intercepted at the last second as Nardiello lay in wait.


David Flitcroft made two changes seven minutes apart as Craig Jones was replaced by Danny Rose and Andrew Tutte was replaced by Tom Soares. The second substitution had an immediate impact as he scored two minutes after coming on. Chris Hussey whipped a corner towards the near post and Soares beat his man to the ball to flick in and give the Shakers the lead.

GOAL: Bury 2-1 Bristol Rovers (Tom Soares 79)


Andy Procter was introduced to the game late on and was solid in the midfield as Bury saw out the game despite four minutes of added time at the end of the game.


The win moves Bury up to 12th in SkyBet League Two and are now nine points off the play-offs with eighteen to play for. The win also means the Shakers are unbeaten in 13 home games with their last defeat at the JD Stadium coming at the start of November against Torquay.

Advertisement block