Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Three Points – Clean Sheet

5 April 2014

Shakers make it three wins in a week at the JD

Bury were going into the game against Exeter looking for a third consecutive win after victories over Northampton and Bristol Rovers in their last two outings. A win and a Southend United victory over Cheltenham could have seen the Shakers move up to 11th place in the Sky Bet League Two table.



Inside the opening 2 minutes captain Craig Jones was released up the wing after a pin point pass from the middle of the pitch from Chris Hussey. Jones looked to be through on goal after rocketing up the by line but keeper Krysiak was quick off his line to meet Jones on the edge of the box and knock the ball out for a corner.


Moments later Andrew Tutte came close to bagging his 1st goal for the Shakers with a strike from 20 yards out. His low right footed effort took a unfortunate deflection off Scott Bennett's knee which as a result forced a good one handed save from keeper Krysiak.


Exeter's first attempt on goal came from a direct free – kick from 20 yards out after Tutte's foul on Elliot Richards. Tom Nicholls stepped up to go for goal, but his right footed shot was just a bit too high.


Soon after Craig Jones played the ball past his man straight to the feet of an unmarked Danny Nardiello. Nardiello found himself inside the box and from a very acute angle he struck the ball towards goal only to see the ball fall straight into the arms of Krysiak.


Danny Mayor was causing Exeter problems with his pace and skill and was soon granted Bury's the best chance of the half after Hallam Hope played a very well executed ball inside the box. Mayor lined the shot up from the left of the box and struck the ball well forcing an excellent one handed save from the Exeter keeper who just about managed to claw the ball out for a Bury corner.


On the half hour mark Exeter found a rush of energy and surged forward into the Bury box which lead to a good effort from Liam Sercombe which was only to be denied by an outstretched leg of Brian Jensen.


Once again Danny Mayor came close to giving the Shakers a well-deserved lead with a powerful right footed strike from the centre of the crowded Exeter box. His effort stung the palms of keeper Krysiak who had had to produce another excellent save to deny Mayor's second effort of the half.


Bury had completely dominated the firs - half having had a large amount of possession and having threatened Exeter on the break on numerous occasions with their pace on the wings and attractive style of play, forcing a total of 9 corners from the Exeter defence who had had to defend for their lives. But for all their hard work and chances the Shakers were going into the second – half still in search of an opening goal.


Half – Time: Bury 0 – Exeter City 0


Bury's first real threat of the second – half fell to Andrew Tutte from 20 yards out. Tutte drove the ball straight towards goal with a powerful right footed shot, but as in the first – half Exeter keeper Krysiak was quick to react pulling off another excellent save to keep his side in the game.


Bury had started the second – half just how they'd left the first; on the front foot. Chris Hussey swung the ball into the box picking out Danny Nardiello at the far post who attempted to tap the ball into back of the net from close range, but he was blocked by his man and could only manage to knock the ball over the bar.


Substitution: Hallam Hope off for Danny Rose (62')


Bury got what they deserved on the 65th minute when Chris Hussey fired home from a direct free – kick after Danny Coles challenge on Danny Mayor, to give the Shakers the lead. Krysiak had managed to get a hand to it but his intervention failed to prevent the well taken effort. A yellow card was awarded to Danny Coles for his poorly timed challenge on Mayor.


Bury 1 – Exeter City 0 (Chris Hussey 65')


On the 69th minute Exeter were faced with an uphill battle when Danny Coles was awarded a second card for another late challenge on Danny Mayor close to the left corner.


Substitution: Craig Jones off for Tommy Miller (72')


Substitution: Andrew Tutte off for Tom Soares (77')


Substitute Danny Rose had done well to find himself unmarked just to the left of goal and to spot an advancing Danny Nardiello. Rose played a quick low ball straight towards the feet of Nardiello but Bury's top striker was unable to stretch that extra inch in order to make contact with the ball as it rolled across the face of goal.


As the end of full – time approached the fourth official signalled for 5 minutes of added time much to the surprise of both sets of fans. Less than a minute later newly dubbed 'Super Sub' Tom Soares found himself on the end of Danny Mayor's pin point pass and he wasted no time in firing it straight past Krysiak for his second goal in two games after coming of the bench, to seal all 3 points for the Shakers and a move up to 11th place in the Sky Bet League Two table.


Bury 2 – Exeter City 0 (Tom Soares 90+1')


Sponsor's Man of the Match: Chris Hussey


Attendance: 2718 144 (Exeter)  

Advertisement block