Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Undone at York

21 April 2014

Shakers dominate but leave with nothing

Ten man Bury lost for the first time in eight games against York City on Easter Monday, going down 1-0 at Bootham Crescent.


Keith Lowe opened the scoring for York inside five minutes before Danny Nardiello was sent off for a second bookable offence to end Bury’s slim hopes of making the play-offs.


David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven for the third game in a row but there was a change on the bench as Tope Obadeyi replaced Ashley Grimes.


Bury, in a changed strip of the home shirt with away shorts and socks due to York’s colours, didn’t have the best of starts and were 1-0 down early on. Will Hayhurst swung a corner to the near post and Keith Lowe beat his man to the ball to tap in from close range on the five minute mark.


GOAL: York 1-0 Bury (Keith Lowe 5’)


The opening fifteen minutes of the game saw many chances being created by both teams. First York nearly extended their lead in the 12th minute as Calvin Andrew powered an effort towards goal from long range but Brian Jensen was equal to it as he pulled off a fantastic save to palm it out for a corner.


Four minutes later it was Bury’s turn to go close when Danny Nardiello played in Everton loanee Hallam Hope. Hope rounded York goalkeeper Nick Pope and it looked like his effort was going to roll into the net but defender John McCombe got back in time to clear it off the line.


The game calmed down slightly after the goal line clearance and it wasn’t until the 37th minute when the Shakers had their next opportunity. Hallam Hope chested down a pass from Pablo Mills on the edge of the area and chipped the ball over the onrushing Pope but saw his effort go the wrong side of the post and out for a goal kick.


Shortly before the half time whistle Calvin Andrew dived in on Craig Jones, much to the anger of the away dugout, and received a yellow card from referee Geoff Eltringham.


HT: York 1-0 Bury


The second half had a much better start to it for Bury as they forced Nick Pope into a save down low within a minute of the restart. Danny Mayor cut in from the left wing and curled an effort around the York defender, only for Pope to prevent it going in at the last minute and out for a corner.


York broke the away team’s dominance in their half in the 50th minute but wasted a good chance when centre back John McCombe fired over unmarked at the back post from a deep corner. McCombe then had an effort disallowed four minutes later after he rolled the ball into an empty net after it came through a crowd of players.


A couple of deflections helped create Bury’s next goalscoring opportunity when the ball fell kindly to Tom Soares in the area but he couldn’t keep his shot down and it went out for a goal kick. Following that miss David Flitcroft made his first change of the afternoon with Danny Rose replacing Chris Sedgwick.


Danny Nardiello received his first booking of the afternoon with 15 minutes to go when he challenged Ben Davies for the ball with the latter coming off worse in a 50/50 challenge.


Bury’s formation was alterted to 4-2-4 when Clive Platt came on for Andrew Tutte with Platt joining Hallam Hope, Danny Rose and Danny Nardiello up front with Tom Soares and Danny Mayor acting as centre midfielders.


However Platt didn’t have much time to link up with Danny Nardiello as he was dismissed six minutes after Platt came on for a second yellow card. Once again Nardiello challenged Davies for the ball and once again the Preston loanee came off worse in a 50/50 challenge and, with York players surrounding him, the referee produced a second yellow card.


RED CARD: Danny Nardiello (Bury) 80’


The 976 travelling Shakers fans thought they had an equaliser with five minutes to go when it looked like a free kick from Chris Hussey was heading in but a combination of Nick Pope and Lanre Oyebanjo prevented the ball from crossing the line.


Five minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official and Flitcroft made his final change with Nathan Cameron replacing Pablo Mills and the former Coventry man heading up front to search for a late equaliser.


The enthusiastic Danny Rose was a thorn in the York side during his brief appearance but he couldn’t get an equaliser, although he did go close to getting one. First he dragged a shot just wide of the post before firing into the side netting from Clive Platt’s flick on.


The result means that it is now mathematically impossible for Bury to get in the play-offs but will be looking to finish as high as they can in preparation for a full season under David Flitcroft in the 2014/15 campaign.


Bury: Jensen, Hussey, McNulty, Mills (Cameron 90), Jones, Soares, Sedgwick (Rose 58), Tutte (Platt 74), Mayor, Nardiello, Hope

Advertisement block