Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bolton 3 Bury 2

12 August 2014

Bolton Wanderers 3 Bury 2

Bury were knocked out of the Capital One Cup after extra time by Bolton Wanderers at the Macron Stadium after a last gasp penalty denied them the win in ninety minutes.
Ryan Lowe had put the Shakers ahead in the 20th minute and it looked like the Shakers were heading through to the 2nd round until Bolton were awarded a penalty in the 95th minute and equalised with almost the last kick of the game.
David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that faced Cheltenham on the opening day with Nathan Cameron and Chris Sedgwick coming in for Craig Jones and Danny Mayor.
The Shakers started out the better of the two teams with them enjoying most of the possession in the opening period. Chris Hussey went close with seven minutes played before Ryan Lowe tested Bogdan from range three minutes later.
The continued pressure paid off in the 20th minute when Bury took the lead with Lowe scoring his first competitive goal in his second spell at the club. Danny Nardiello played the ball down the line to Andrew Tutte and he whipped in a low cross towards the back post for Lowe to hammer into the roof of the net to give Bury the lead.
GOAL: Bolton 0-1 Bury (Ryan Lowe 20)
Eight minutes after the goal Bolton had a chance to equalise but Rob Hall blazed an effort over the bar from the six yard area after being picked out by Liam Feeney.
With 38 minutes played Bolton were denied an equaliser by a combination of great defending by Nathan Cameron and the legs of Shwan Jalal. Conor Wilkinson played a reverse pass through to Jermaine Beckford and it looked like he would score but he failed to beat the combination of Cameron and Jalal and the danger was cleared.
HT: Bolton 0-1 Bury
That would turn out to be Jalal’ last action as he was replaced at half time by Rob Lainton after picking up what looked to be a groin injury after a collision with Beckford.
The former Bolton goalkeeper was called into action seven minutes into the second half when Liam Trotter played a one-two with Conor Wilkinson on the edge of the area but Lainton was equal to it and smothered it at the second attempt.
The second half was quickly becoming an end-to-end affair and Lainton pulled off an unbelievable save from David Wheater in the 55th minute. The ex-Middlesbrough defender found himself one-on-one with him but he somehow managed to block the shot with one hand as flung himself infront of the ball.
Bury were next to have a chance at goal and it fell to Bolton-born midfielder Nicky Adams after he was brought down on the edge of the area. Adams picked himself up and took the free kick himself, only to be denied by a strong hand from Adam Bogdan.
Joe Thompson completed his comeback in the 84th minute as he made his first competitive appearance since remission when he was brought on to replace Ryan Lowe.
It looked like the Shakers would hold on for a repeat scoreline of the last competitive meeting between the two sides but it was cruelly taken away from them in the sixth minute of added time. Referee Jeremy Simpson decided Rob Lainton’s challenge on Jermaine Beckford was a foul and gave Bolton a chance to equalise with almost the last kick of the game. Craig Davies took the penalty and smashed it into the bottom corner past the despairing dive of Lainton to send the tie into extra time.
GOAL: Bolton 1-1 Bury (Craig Davies pen 90+6)
FT: Bolton 1-1 Bury
Similar to normal time, Bury started at a fast pace and created a goalscoring opportunity within two minutes of the restart. Danny Mayor left Dorian Dervite on the floor when he turned him with ease before embarking on a direct run towards the Bolton back line. He made some room for himself on the edge of the area and got a shot away but Bogdan produced a great save to tip it around the post.
A minute later Bolton were in front for the first time after Neil Danns’ header was diverted into his own net by Chris Sedgwick, despite the best efforts of the former Sheffield Wednesday man on the line.
GOAL: Bolton 2-1 Bury (Chris Sedgwick OG 93)
Danns did get on the scoresheet in the 94th minute when Bolton scored their second goal in as many minutes. The former Leicester City man curled a 25 yard free kick around the wall and into the top corner to establish a two goal lead for the Trotters.
GOAL: Bolton 3-1 Bury (Neil Danns 94)
A third goal in four minutes flew in in the 97th minute but this time it was Bury who added another name to the scoresheet. Nicky Adams whipped a free kick into the box and it was met by the thigh of Jim McNulty to give the Shakers a chance of pulling it back to 3-3.
GOAL: Bolton 3-2 Bury (Jim McNulty 97)
As the players made their way back out onto the pitch for the second half of extra time both Nicky Adams and David Flitcroft revved up the 2,448 travelling fans to give the players an extra push. However, Bolton were happy to see the tie out and the Shakers couldn’t add another goal despite a big appeal for a penalty late on in the game.
The full time whistle brought an end to Bury’s Capital One Cup campaign for the 2014/15 season but the performance they put in would make any spectator think they were the Championship side on the night. Up next for the Shakers is a trip to Hartlepool on Saturday before completing three away games in a week with a visit to Luton Town on the 19th August.

Advertisement block