Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2014

16 August 2014

Bury secured their first win of the season with a dominant performance against Hartlepool at Victoria Park on Saturday afternoon.


Goals from Danny Nardiello and the returning Danny Rose ensured that the Shakers would be travelling back to BL9 with all three points.


David Flitcroft made two changes to the starting eleven that played Bolton on Tuesday night with Kelvin Etuhu and Rob Lainton coming in for Chris Sedgwick and Shwan Jalal.


Chris Hussey was a key player for the Shakers early on and he was in plenty of space to pick out Danny Nardiello in the area with nine minutes played. The former Rotherham striker rose above his marker but couldn’t direct his header on target.


Hussey then whipped a corner into the box which was met by Nathan Cameron, only for his header to miss the back of the net by a matter of inches.


Hartlepool’s best chance of the first half came when Brad Walker picked out on the unmarked Darren Holden. He charged into the area and had three players waiting for the pass but Pablo Mills was alert and intercepted the danger with ease.


From the resulting phase of play Bury took the lead. Kelvin Etuhu spread the ball wide to Ryan Lowe on the right hand side of the area. Lowe hit a perfectly weighted pass with the outside of his right foot for the unmarked Danny Nardiello to head in and give the Shakers the lead.


After the goal the game was mainly a midfield battle before Marlon Harewood had a chance to equalise in the 37th minute. Stuart Parnaby unleashed a powerful shot towards goal that was parried by Rob Lainton but Harewood smashed the rebound high and wide and into the home end.


As the first half came to a close Bury were back to being the dominant side with Ryan Lowe going closest to a second goal when his deflected free kick nearly wrong footed Scott Flinders.


Once again the Shakers started the brighter of the two teams in the second half with Tom Soares heading over the bar from a Chris Hussey cross nine minutes in.


The woodwork then stopped Lowe from scoring his 50th league goal in Bury colours in the 52nd minute. He set off on a jinking run and then tried to curve a shot into the top corner but was stopped by Flinders, who tipped his effort onto the bar.


At the other end Hartlepool had a fantastic opportunity to equalise but Luke James decided to pass instead of shooting. He broke into the box from the right hand side of the pitch and tried to set up Marlon Harewood but the ever reliable Pablo Mills mopped up and cleared the danger.


Harewood had the ball in the net three minutes later but his effort was ruled out for offside. Luke James crossed for Jonathan Franks and his header looped towards goal and looked like it was going straight in until Harewood flicked in from close range to rule the goal out.


The three points were sealed in the 73rd minute when Danny Rose scored on his return after a defensive error from Matthew Bates. He tried to play Tom Soares’ long ball back to Scott Flinders but only made minimal contact on it to allow Rose a free run on goal. The Barnsley loanee kept his composure and slotted past Flinders to make it 2-0 with seventeen minutes to play.


The second goal pretty much killed the game off with Hartlepool rarely managing to create any chances and Lainton remained untested for the remainder of the game. The Shakers face a quick turnaround with a game against Luton Town on Tuesday night, a first meeting between the two sides since 2009.

Advertisement block