Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/08/2014

19 August 2014

Luton Town 1 Bury 1

A late Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu goal denied Bury all three points at Kenilworth Road on Tuesday after Danny Rose had put the Shakers ahead.

Rose poked home from close range before Mpanzu equalised late on but it still means that Bury haven’t lost at Luton since the 15th December 1962. 

There were two changes to the starting eleven that played Hartlepool with Danny Mayor and Danny Rose coming in for Chris Hussey and Danny Nardiello, the latter dropping down to the bench.

The first half had very few noteworthy chances despite Bury dominating the majority of possession. Pablo Mills volleyed Nicky Adams’ corner goalwards but it was easily saved by former Shaker Mark Tyler before Andrew Tutte fired just wide after breaking forward from his own half.

Danny Rose came closest to grabbing a goal in the first half when he was picked out by Danny Mayor and got a shot away from 25 yards out which was saved at the second attempt by Mark Tyler.

The closest Luton came to testing Rob Lainton in the Bury goal came in the 32nd minute when Scott Griffiths floated a ball into the box but Paul Benson’s free header was high over the bar.

Former Bury loanee Mark Cullen created half a chance for himself within a minute of the restart but his wayward shot ended up with the home fans behind the goal.

Bury took the lead in the 61st minute when Danny Rose grabbed his second goal in two games since arriving last Friday. Nicky Adams played a low ball into the box and it looked like it came off the hand of Luton captain Steve McNulty. The referee didn’t see anything and play continued allowing Rose to react quickest to the loose ball and slip an effort under the arms of Mark Tyler to send the travelling 289 Shakers wild behind the goal.

Two substitutions followed the goal with Danny Rose being replaced by James Poole in the 68th minute and Nicky Adams coming off for Chris Sedgwick three minutes later.

With Luton yet to really test Rob Lainton, manager John Still changed formation to match Bury with them changing to a 3-5-2 formation after the introduction of Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu and Ross Lafayette. 

Mark Tyler was called into action again with two minutes of normal time left when he was forced into making a reaction save to deny Andrew Tutte from 10 yards out. From the resulting corner Nathan Cameron rose above his man but his effort was just over the bar.

As the Fourth Official signalled six minutes of added time, Luton equalised from substitute Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu. Tyler’s long clearance was helped on by Mark Cullen and Mpanzu fired a deflected shot past Rob Lainton with 91 minutes on the clock.

Luton pushed for a winner late on but Adam Drury’s shot was well saved by Lainton and the points were shared. Up next for Bury is two home games in a row starting with Plymouth on Saturday at the JD Stadium.

Advertisement block