Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/08/2014

30 August 2014

Bury 2 Accrington Stanley 1

Bury made it four league games unbeaten on Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 win over Accrington Stanley at the JD Stadium.

Goals from Danny Rose and Danny Mayor cancelled our Kal Naismith’s 19th minute strike to move the Shakers up to 6th place in SkyBet League Two.

David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven but there was a couple of changes on the bench as Craig Jones returned from injury and new loan signing Duane Holmes made the matchday squad on the day he joined from Huddersfield Town.

The first ten minutes of the game were an end-to-end affair with the home side creating the first chance of the match in the 12th minute. Danny Mayor played the ball to Kelvin Etuhu and he took aim from 20 yards out but his shot was just past the post.

Accrington took the lead seven minutes later when Kal Naismith added his second goal of the season. The former Rangers man cut in off the right wing and curled the ball past Rob Lainton into the back of the net to give Stanley the lead.

It could have easily been 2-0 in the 31st minute but Danny Rose reacted well to Will Hatfield’s header to clear off the line.

Another goal line clearance, this time by Pablo Mills, prevented Naismith adding a second of the game three minutes later. Rob Lainton denied James Gray and Naismith hit a first time effort towards goal from 35 yards out but Mills tracked back well and headed it away from danger.

The second clearance was perhaps the turning point in the game with Bury getting their equaliser a minute after. Ryan Lowe backheeled the ball to Tom Soares and he pulled it back for Danny Rose to add his fourth of the season in Bury colours.

Stanley had the final chance of the first half when Kal Naismith rattled the post with a 30 yard free kick after Nathan Cameron was booked for a foul on Will Hatfield.

David Flitcroft made a change at half time with Chris Hussey replacing Tom Soares which saw the Shakers changed their shape to a 4-4-2 formation, allowing Danny Mayor to push further forward.

It was the former Sheffield Wednesday winger that put Bury ahead for the first time in the game in the 62nd minute with an early goal of the season contender. He skipped past two Accrington defenders before curling the ball into the top corner past the despairing dive of Joe Lumley from 25 yards out.

The Shakers were reduced to 10 men with 20 minutes to play when Jim McNulty was shown a second yellow card by referee Kevin Wright. He got tangled up with James Gray on the halfway line and was shown a second yellow card and given his marching orders.

Accrington pushed forward with their man advantage but couldn’t create a goalscoring opportunity. Shay McCartan coming closest for them when he slid to meet Adam Buxton’s deep cross but his effort was well wide of Lainton’s goal.

The result means that Bury are now four league games unbeaten and up to 6th in SkyBet League Two ahead of two consecutive away games against Wycombe and Carlisle.

Advertisement block