Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Silverware for Shakers

6 August 2014

2014 Lancashire FA Senior Cup Winners

Bury lifted the Lancashire Senior Cup trophy for the ninth time after beating Wigan Athletic on penalties after the two teams couldn’t be separated in normal time.


Andrew Tutte levelled the scores from the penalty spot in the 59th minute after Matthew Hamilton had put Wigan ahead but it was Scott Burgess who decided the match in the penalty shoot-out when he sent Lee Nicholls the wrong way from 12 yards out.


Seven first teamers were named in the starting eleven which included new signings Joe Thompson and Joe Widdowson whilst Wigan named Grant Holt in their team.


It was Holt that had the first chance of the game when he was picked out in the box by Luke Burke but he wasted his free header as it looped out for a goal kick.


Wigan opened the scoring in the 28th minute after Declan Poole was sent tumbling in the area after he was brought down by Keil O’Brien. Matthew Hamilton stepped up to take the penalty and saw his initial effort saved by Rob Lainton but the rebound fell straight to him and he applied the finish from close range.


Six minutes later Grant Holt broke the offside trap and was left one-on-one with Lainton but the former Bolton goalkeeper was equal to his shot and prevented a second goal in quick succession.


The second half saw the Shakers start the better of the two sides with Joe Thompson rattling the bar from the edge of the area, although it looked like Lee Nicholls may have got a fingertip to it.


Seven minutes after Thompson’ shot, Bury had a penalty themselves and it was a carbon copy of the one in the first half. Sean Harrison upended Joe Thompson in the same spot as the Keil O’Brien challenge in the first half and referee Darren Handley awarded a penalty. Andrew Tutte stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner to equalise.


Following the equaliser the game was end to end with Wigan wasting the best chance when Louis Robles found himself free in the area but he dragged his shot wide of the post and out for a goal kick.


With no extra time in the Lancashire Senior Cup the game headed to penalties with the two goal scorers taking the first penalties and both scored to make it 1-1 after one penalty.


Juan Carlos Garcia was up next for Wigan and his penalty sneaked past the dive of Lainton before Joe Thompson hammered it straight down the middle to level the scores.


Rob Lainton then pulled off a wonderful save to deny Jordan Flores to give Bury the advantage in the shoot-out. Chris Sedgwick made no mistake as he dispatched his penalty in the same method of Thompson’ to make it 3-2.


Tim Chow smashed Wigan’s fourth against the bar to leave Scott Burgess the chance to win the tie for Bury and he did by sending Nicholls the wrong way to seal a ninth Lancashire FA Senior Cup for Bury and the first since 1987.


Bury: Lainton, Gibson, O’Brien, Cameron, Poscha, Widdowson, Bourne (Burgess 34), Sedgwick, Tutte, Thompson, Dudley (Miller 77)

Click here for club honours

Advertisement block