Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

A good Christmas for Bury

28 December 2014

Six points from six for Festive Shakers

Bury ended 2014 with a solid 2-0 win against Mansfield Town at the JD Stadium to move them up to 8th in SkyBet League Two.

Ryan Lowe had opened the scoring in the first half following a goalkeeping error before a Danny Mayor sealed the three points with a magnificent individual effort twelve minutes before full time.

David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that beat Northampton on Boxing Day with Ryan Lowe and Nicky Adams coming in for the injured Danny Nardiello and the suspended Hayden White.

An early clash of heads between Kelvin Etuhu and Nathan Cameron left the latter needing treatment from physio Tom Walsh and a five minute delay after just a minute played. The former Coventry defender was able to carry on but a twenty minute spell followed in which neither team created a noteworthy chance.

The first chance of the game came in the 20th minute when Hallam Hope skipped past two challenges but couldn't pick out a Bury player in the box. The ball was won back and fed out to Ryan Lowe, whose first time shot was saved at the second attempt by Dimitar Evtimov.

Lowe was involved in the action again seven minutes later when he found himself in space on the left hand side of the area but he was unable to get a clean connection on the shot and Evtimov claimed it with ease.

Bury continued to apply pressure on the Mansfield defence and came close in the 39th minute as Andrew Tutte searched for his second goal in as many games but his effort flashed just past the outside of the post.

The home side's continued pressure was rewarded the following minute as Ryan Lowe added his eighth goal of the season. Hallam Hope's powerful effort from 25 yards was spilled by Nottingham Forest loanee Evtimov into Lowe's path and he applied the finish from close range.

Mansfield didn't test Rob Lainton at all in the first half with their first shot of the game shortly before half time as Jamie McGuire unleashed a volley from the edge of the area that was deflected well wide of the Bury goal.

The away side were out early for the second half and could have been level two minutes after the restart. Former Bury trialist Junior Brown cut the ball back for Simon Heslop but his effort was high over the bar from eight yards out.

Following early pressure from the Stags, Bury started to push more bodies forward as they looked for a second goal and had a penalty appeal turned down after substitute Danny Rose went down in the box before Lowe skewed a shot wide of the goal from the edge of the area.

However the second goal came twelve minutes from time as Danny Mayor added his name to the score sheet with a magnificent effort. He picked the ball up near the corner flag and turned his man with ease before cutting back on his right foot and slamming the ball into the top corner for 2-0.

Mansfield looked to add a consolation late on but were unable to find a way past the Bury back line. Junior Brown found space in the box but his shot was deflected into the side netting before Rob Lainton produced a good reaction save to keep out Brown's deflected effort.

Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and Bury saw it out with ease to secure back to back wins in the league for the first time since mid-September to move them up to 8th in League Two ahead of Saturday's trip to Dagenham and Redbridge. 

Advertisement block