Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Last minute woes for Bury

14 December 2014

Shakers away day blues continue at Oxford

Bury lost their fourth league game in a row on Saturday afternoon as Tyrone Barnett's 90th minute strike condemned them to a 2-1 defeat.


The Shakers had took the lead midway through the second half through Danny Mayor but the lead only last seven minutes before Craig Jones put the ball in his own net. Barnett struck late on, on the breakaway to leave Bury just outside the play-offs in 9th.


David Flitcroft made three changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Luton with Shwan Jalal, Adam El-Abd and Rob Milsom coming in for Rob Lainton, Pablo Mills and Nicky Adams.


The start of the first half contained few chances but Shwan Jalal was involved in the action as he denied Wes Burns and then former Bury loanee Danny Hylton when he broke through on goal in the 32nd minute.


The Shakers' first real effort on goal came a minute into additional time when Andrew Tutte struck the crossbar with a free kick from just outside of the area after Oxford captain Jake Wright was penalised for handball.


Flitcroft introduced Ryan Lowe to the game at half time, coming on for Danny Rose, and he was involved in the action immediately when he was set up by Hallam Hope but his shot flashed just wide of the post.


Oxford's first chance of the second half came in the 51st when midfielder Andrew Whing tried his luck from distance but fired wide of Shwan Jalal's post.


The deadlock was broken twelve minutes later with a well taken goal from Danny Mayor. Craig Jones dummied a Tom Soares pass, which allowed Ryan Lowe to attack the byline and pull the ball back for Hallam Hope. The Everton loanee was denied by a great save from Ryan Clarke but the rebound fell to the feet of Danny Mayor, who showed great composure before slamming the ball into the back of the net for 1-0.


The Shakers could have had a second moments later but the lively Lowe couldn't get his header on target from Nathan Cameron's lofted header ball into the box.


The goal seemed to give Bury a big boost and they were constantly applying pressure to the U's back line. Andrew Tutte unleashed a powerful long shot from almost thirty yards but he was once again denied by the crossbar.


Oxford were level in the 70th minute when Craig Jones diverted the ball into his own net. Former Shakers loanee Danny Hylton took the ball past Rob Milsom and squared into the box looking for an Oxford player but it was the sliding Jones who got the last touch on it as he diverted it into his own net.


The home side's goal saw them look for a winner straight away but the Bury back four held firm and denied each attack that was thrown at them.


However it was Oxford who grabbed the winner as the clock ticked into the 90th minute. Jimmy McNulty's cross field pass was intercepted by Alfie Potter, who played in Wes Burns for a 2-on-1 situation. Burns spotted the unmarked Tyrone Barnett at the back post and crossed for him to head in from close range to steal the three points.


The final whistle followed shortly after and condemned Bury to a 2-1 defeat to leave them 9th in SkyBet League Two ahead of Tuesday's FA Cup Second Round replay against Luton at Kenilworth Road.

Advertisement block