Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers pegged back

20 December 2014

Shakers take a point after a York City comeback

Bury remain in 9th position in SkyBet League Two after drawing 2–2 with York at the JD Stadium.


Goals from Andrew Tutte and Danny Nardiello had put the Shakers 2-0 in front before Jake Hyde and Luke Summerfield levelled the scores to ensure both teams shared the points.


David Flitcroft made three changes to the side that lost against Luton in midweek with Adam El-Abd, Pablo Mills and Craig Jones coming in for Keil O'Brien, Jim McNulty and Tom Soares,


The game started with a high tempo with both teams looking to get bodies forward with every opportunity. York goalkeeper Alex Cisak was in action early on to Palm away Ryan Lowe's header before Nathan Cameron did well to block Jake Hyde's effort from close range.


Following the early flurry of chances the game settled down with it becoming more of a midfield battle. Both sides were putting their bodies on the line which resulted in yellow cards for Bury's Pablo Mills and Nathan Cameron whilst York full back Oluwafemi Ilesanmi was also booked.


The best chance of the first half fell to the away side shortly before the interval. The ball fell kindly to Diego De Girolamo six yards from goal but he was unable to get his effort on target with him firing his effort over the bar and into the stand accommodating the away fans.


Flitcroft introduced Chris Hussey for Pablo Mills at the start of the second half but it was one of the starting eleven who put Bury ahead. Andrew Tutte picked the ball up around 25 yards from goal and unleashed a shot that took a slight deflection off a York player before bursting into the back of the net to give Bury the lead. 


1-0 turned to 2-0 five minutes later and it was substitute Hussey who created it. His near post free kick was met by the head of Danny Nardiello, who powered a header past the dive of Cisak to double the lead.


However the deficit was reduced in the 67th minute when York's Jake Hyde headed in at the back post. Winger Michael Coulson's attacked the byline and floated a ball to the back post for Hyde to head in from close range to make it 2-1.


York were on the attack immediately after the goal and came close to an equaliser through midfielder Russell Penn but his deflected effort was just past Shwan Jalal's post.


The away pressure continued and York got their equaliser in the 78th minute after Kelvin Etuhu tripped Wes Fletcher on the edge of the area. Luke Summerfield took responsibility from the free kick and fired an inch perfect effort into the top corner to level the scores.


Bury pressed for their third goal of the afternoon late on but were unable to find a winner. Danny Nardiello headed over from Danny Rose's cross before Rose fired wide of the post from the edge of the area.


Four minutes added time were signalled at the end of the second half but neither side could nick a late winner and the points were shared to leave Bury just outside the play-offs in 9th place.

Advertisement block