Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town 1 Bury 4

25 February 2014

Bury produced one of their better performances of the season as they dominated against Mansfield at the One Call Stadium in a 4-1 win.


A double from Danny Nardiello and goals from Danny Mayor and Jake Carroll sealed the three points for the Shakers as they moved up to 15th in the league,


Bury manager David Flitcroft made two changes to the starting eleven as Tommy Miller and Anton Forrester dropping to the bench with Chris Sedgwick and Clive Platt starting in place of them.


Bury had a fast paced start to the game and nearly had a goal inside the first two minutes but the sliding Clive Platt couldn’t get a toe to a low cross from Craig Jones ahead of Mansfield goalkeeper Alan Marriott.


Captain Craig Jones was involved in the action again early on but this time it was due to a head injury after being accidently caught by Sam Clucas which left the former TNS man with a thick head bandage for the rest of the game. 


The tempo of the game slowed down as the minutes ticked by but it was Bury who got the opening goal of the night as Danny Mayor fired in his second in two games. Pablo Mills picked him out just inside the Mansfield half with plenty of space around him and Mayor went on a 30 yard darting run before firing into the bottom corner past the despairing dive of Marriott.


GOAL: Mansfield 0-1 Bury (Danny Mayor 25)


It was nearly 2-0 in the 30th minute after good link up play by Danny Nardiello and Craig Jones but Ritchie Sutton got a vital touch on the ball with Platt waiting at the back post to head home.


Mansfield’s first shot that caused any real problem to Brian Jensen came via Sam Clucas when the ex-Hereford United man turned on the edge of the area and fired a low shot towards goal which took a bobble before reaching ‘The Beast’.


Going into the half time break, David Flitcroft would have been the happier of the two managers as the Shakers had dominated the game and had had 62% possession.


The spell of dominance continued into the second half with Mansfield continuially aiming a long ball for Matt Rhead up front whilst Bury kept the ball on the deck and spread it around the pitch.


It wasn’t long until Bury had their first real chance of the half when in the 52nd minute they had a penalty shout turned down before Andrew Tutte saw his curling effort palmed away by Alan Marriott.


However Marriott couldn’t stop Bury’s second goal flying in when Danny Nardiello tapped into an empty net at the far post after good work from Jones and Mayor in the corner. Jones held the ball up well and picked out Mayor on the right hand side of the area, the Sheffield Wednesday loanee took one touch before firing a velocious low cross for Nardiello to score despite hitting the post on the way in.


GOAL: Mansfield 0-2 Bury (Danny Nardiello 56)


Another loan player from a Yorkshire club, Jake Carroll, provided an excellent covering tackle as Mansfield look to get a goal back when he poked the ball away from Lee Stevenson in a goalscoring position.


2-0 turned to 3-0 in the 64th minute and it was the same combination for the 2nd as Mayor and Nardiello linked up superbly. Mayor played the ball over the top of the Mansfield defence for Nardiello who saw Marriott off his line and chipped him from just outside the area to give Bury a three goal advantage.


GOAL: Mansfield 0-3 Bury (Danny Nardiello 64)


The impressive Clive Platt was withdrawn from the game three minutes after the goal with Anton Forrester coming on to replace him.


Mansfield got their consolation in the 70th minute when Sam Clucas tapped in at the far post following Colin Daniel’s chipped cross which evaded most of the players in the six yard box.


GOAL: Mansfield 1-3 Bury (Sam Clucas 70)


However the Shakers restored their three goal advantage within a minute as they attacked straight from kick off and a similar scenario developed for Jake Carroll to score his first goal in England. Craig Jones floated a ball in from the right and Alan Marriott tipped the ball out to Carroll who smashed the ball into the ground and into back of the net to seal the three points.


GOAL: Mansfield 1-4 Bury (Jake Carroll 71)


As the game petered out Bury made two changes with Tommy Miller coming on for the once again superb Danny Mayor and Anthony Dudley replacing Danny Nardiello up top.


With the final whistle almost approaching Mansfield wasted a good chance when Ollie Palmer fired wide when it was probably easier to score and that was the final action before referee Stuart Atwell brought the game to a close.


The win means Bury are now six games unbeaten and up to 15th in SkyBet League Two ahead of Saturday’s clash against Cheltenham at the Abbey Business Stadium.


Bury: Jensen, Veseli, Mills, McNulty, Jones, Tutte, Sedgwick, Carroll, Mayor (Miller 72), Nardiello (Dudley 87), Platt (Forrester 67)


Subs not used: Charles-Cook, Hinds, Procter, Burke


Advertisement block