Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Positives everywhere

1 February 2014

Three hard earned points at the JD Stadium

Bury secured a vital win on Saturday afternoon as they beat Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 in the Shakers fourth game of 2014. 
A first half goal from Anton Forrester was enough to get all three points for Bury in dreadful conditions at the JD Stadium.
Two players were awarded their debuts as Andrew Tutte and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro who signed from permanently from Rochdale and on loan from Tranmere respectively.
Bury were on top for most of the game and started the game brightly as Leon Johnson was forced to clear almost on his line. Chris Sedgwick swung a cross to the back post, Jim McNulty headed it down and Tommy Miller struck an effort towards goal which forced Johnson into the clearance.
Brian Jensen was tested for the first time in the 12th minute when Wycombe captain Stuart Lewis struck an effort towards goal but Jensen dealt with it comfortably.
Anton Forrester came close a minute later as Bury went attacking up the other end when the ball came out to him on the edge of the area. He hit it on the volley and it looked like it was going to nestle in the far corner of the net but it went just past the post.
It was an exciting few minutes at the JD Stadium as Wycombe nearly created a chance from Pablo Mills’ misplaced cross field pass. It was intercepted by the Wycombe midfield but Frederic Veseli covered well and got rid of the danger.
The game quietened down for a period after that and it wasn’t until the 34th minute when the next good phase of attacking play occurred. Ashley Grimes picked out Anton Forrester on the edge of the box and in one swift movement he turned and hit a low effort towards goal. The ball squirmed under the arms of Matt Ingram and into the back of the net to give the Shakers the lead.
GOAL: Bury 1-0 Wycombe (Anton Forrester 34)
Towards the back end of the first half Wycombe started to get more into the game and Nick Arnold stung the palms of Brian Jensen before Stuart Lewis hit a speculative effort from range that was seen wide by the man known as ‘The Beast’.
HT: Bury 1-0 Wycombe
Neither side made changes at half time and the first half chance of the second half fell to Ashley Grimes as he got into the box with tricky footwork. He aimed for the near post of Matt Ingram’s goal but hit the side netting, even though most of the main stand thought it had gone in.
Another new signing made his debut in the Clive Platt came on for his debut in the 58th minute for fellow debutant Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.
Bury had a penalty appeal turned down four minutes when Craig Jones whipped a ball into the box and it hit Jordan Mustoe on the arm but referee Rob Lewis ignored the appeals.
Good work from a combination of Chris Sedgwick, Craig Jones and Anton Forrester nearly saw Forrester add a second but his effort was cleared off the line by a man on the post.
The former Bury loanee was then shown a yellow card for a late challenge on Craig Jones before Bury made their second substitution of the game when Ashley Grimes was replaced by Andy Procter.
Pablo Mills became the first Bury player to be booked in the 74th minute before Nick Arnold volleyed narrowly wide when Marvin McCoy’s long throw fell to him.
Brian Jensen came under pressure towards the end of the game but dealt with it well by either claiming the ball easily or punching it clear with the wind playing a big part in the delivery of the final ball.
Bury made their third and final change of the game when Tope Obadeyi came on for Anton Forrester but no goal scoring opportunities came his way as the game ticked into added time.
Five minutes of added time were signalled by the fourth official and the Shakers saw it out comfortably to secure their second win in four games in 2014.
The win also meant that Wycombe became the second team this season to not take any points from two games against Bury as they joined Hartlepool on the list after Bury’s two wins against them this season.
FT: Bury 1-0 Wycombe

Advertisement block