Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stalemate at Stanley

19 February 2014

Bury frustrated against ten-man Accrington Stanley at the Store First Stadium....

Bury were given an advantage on the half – hour mark when Stanley’s Lawrie Wilson lunged in hastily on skipper Craig Jones just inside Stanley's half. After a brief delay referee Kevin Wright reached for his pocket and produced the red card.

Bury went in search of a goal and dominated the remainder of the half causing problems with their pace and style of attack down both wings and through the middle. 

The final chance of the half fell to Tutte after some good link up play inside the box with Anton Forrester.  Somehow, right back Nicky Hunt managed to scramble towards Tutte's close range shot and clear it to safety to prevent the Shakers from bagging a well-deserved goal.  

Half – Time: Accrington Stanley 0 – Bury 0

Half – Time substitution for Bury: Akpa Apro off for Chris Sedgwick. Bury's substitution saw them switch to a 4-4-2.

Half – Time substitution for Accrington Stanley: Kayode Odejayi off for Michael Liddle 

The tempo of the game had slowed down at the start of the second – half with both teams playing more of a passing game which as a result created fewer chances than the first – half.

Forrester had two efforts on goal, his first attempt falling wide of the right post and his second flying out on the far wing for a throw in, after a opting to take a shot from a difficult angle on the far left. 

Jones had been causing Stanley problems throughout the game with his skill and pace. His sterling efforts were almost rewarded when he found himself on end of a Forrester flick, driving a robust effort at Bettinelli's goal, but the on loan Fulham keeper executed a good save to deny Jones of a second goal in two games.

60 minutes: Substitution: Danny Mayor off for Clive Platt
Danny Webber looked to be through on goal after creating room to be on the receiving end of a well-timed pass from Lee Molyneux, but Tommy Miller was quick to show his experience with an expert tackle to deny the front man of his goal scoring opportunity.  Lone striker Webber was eventually replaced by James Gray with just over 10 minutes remaining. 
As the remaining minutes ticked away it looked like there would have to be something spectacular to break the deadlock. The Shakers continued to push forward into the final third, throwing everything but the kitchen sink into Stanley's box. 

86 Minutes: Substitution: Frederic Veseli off for Tope Obadeyi

Peter Murphy's well timed challenge evaded Clive Platt's effort within the 4 minutes of added time.

It looked like the Shakers would be returning to the JD Stadium with all 3 points in the bag when substitute Tope rolled the ball across the box from the near, left post. The ball evaded a sea of red shirts to land at the feet of a well-positioned Danny Nardiello who struck the ball at close range, but unfortunately Bettinelli was quick to react and scrambled the ball out to safety.

The 10-man hosts were happy to claim the point but the Shakers were left frustrated after dominating the game and piling forward in numbers, creating chances in there droves. 

Full – Time: Accrington Stanley 0 – Bury 0

Attendance: 2184.

Advertisement block