Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Defeat at Chesterfield

11 January 2014

Shakers back down to earth with a bump at the Proact Stadiunm

Bury couldn’t make it a third win on the row for the first time since April 2012 as they were defeated 4-0 by Chesterfield at the ProAct Stadium.


Gary Roberts put Chesterfield in the lead in the first half before Danny Mayor was shown a red card and then Chesterfield added four goals in the second half.


Bury manager David Flitcroft named the same starting eleven that beat Hartlepool on New Years’ Day but made three changes to the substitutes as Tom Soares, Tope Obadeyi and Robbie McIntyre came in for Euan Holden, Craig Jones and Regan Walker.


Chesterfield created a few half chances early on but each time Gary Roberts dragged his shot wide of Brian Jensen’s net.


A number of yellow cards were shown early on in the game as Nathan Cameron, Nathan Smith and Jimmy Ryan were all booked by referee Tony Harrington.


Chesterfield took the lead in the 16th minute when Gary Roberts tapped in at the back post. Jay O’Shea’s cross took a deflection and it fell kindly for Roberts who fired in from close range.


GOAL: Chesterfield 1-0 Bury (Gary Roberts 16)


Following the Chesterfield goal, Bury started to put more pressure on the Spireites defence and went close through Anton Forrester and Danny Nardiello. First Forrester stung the palms of Tommy Lee from long range before Nardiello was denied by a low save by Lee.


Chesterfield had their last chance of the half in the 27th minute when Gary Roberts picked out Marc Richards at the far post but a superb last ditch challenge from Nathan Cameron denied the former Port Vale striker.


Following the goal saving challenge the game was contested in the middle of the pitch with the occasional attack from either side that came to nothing.


Two minutes of added time were indicated by the Fourth Official and shortly before the half time whistle Danny Mayor was sent off. Both Mayor and Matty Brown challenged for the ball but Brown reacted to the challenge and fell to the floor writhing in agony. Referee Harrington sprinted over with card in hand and produced the red card to leave Bury with 10 men for the remainder of the game.


RED CARD: Danny Mayor (45)


HT: Chesterfield 1-0 Bury


Bury made an attacking sub at half time as Tom Soares was brought on to replace Nathan Cameron as the Shakers looked to grab an early equaliser in the second half.


Chesterfield winger Jay O’Shea was becoming an increasing threat as the second half progressed and saw his effort go wide in the 59th minute but he had much better luck with his next effort. He picked up the ball on the left hand side of the pitch and drove forward before unleashing an unstoppable effort from 25 yards that went in off the post.


GOAL: Chesterfield 2-0 Bury (Jay O’Shea 65)


Chesterfield thought that they had scored a third minutes later but the linesman ruled that Gary Roberts was offside when he put the ball in the net.


Bury made their second change of the game in the 72nd minute when the returning Tope Obadeyi was brought on for Andy Procter.


Chesterfield’s third goal of the afternoon came in the 76th minute, although it was quite a controversial one. Ritchie Humphreys floated the ball to the back post and it was headed in by Marc Richards but the linesman ruled it offside. The referee disagreed and went over to speak to him about it and after lengthy discussions they both agreed the goal should stand.


GOAL: Chesterfield 3-0 Bury (Marc Richards 76)


Brian Jensen made a fantastic double save with ten minutes left as he denied both Jay O’Shea and Dan Gardner as Chesterfield searched for a fourth goal.


After Jensen’s double save, Bury made their third and final change of the afternoon when Ashley Grimes was brought on for Anton Forrester.


As the Shakers pushed forward to try and get back into the game, Jay O’Shea released Dan Gardner free of the Bury defence and he added a fourth goal for the Spireites, although there was an element of luck about it. Gardner found himself and two other Chesterfield players against Brian Jensen and he went for glory but his shot was blocked by Jensen but as the ball bounced, it spun and landed in the net to make it 4-0.


GOAL: Chesterfield 4-0 Bury (Dan Gardner 86)


As the fourth official revealed there would be four minutes of added time at the end of the first half Danny Nardiello went close but was denied by Tommy Lee.


That would be the final attack of the game from Bury and Chesterfield saw the game out to secure their second win over Bury in the 2013/14 season.

Advertisement block