Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Melbourne City vs Bury

16 July 2014

Bury's pre-season friendly with Melbourne City ends 2-2 with Goals from Pablo Mills and Craig Jones...

Bury FC continued their pre-season yesterday with a fantastic pre season friendly fixture against Melbourne City, drawing 2-2 in a behind closed doors game at Manchester City’s training ground, Carrington.

Goals from Pablo Mills and Craig Jones equalled the scoreline after Melbourne City, the Hyundai A-League outfit, twice took the lead but neither side could then take an advantage and were forced to settle for a share of the spoils. 

Melbourne started the brighter of the two sides, controlling possession well, building from the back and showing good movement. 

Melbourne City’s good start was rewarded on the 11th minute with a goal, despite the efforts of a good reaction save from Shwan Jalal, a strong challenge from Pablo Mills and a goal line clearance from Craig Jones, Melbourne opened the scoring with a squared ball for the striker to tap home from close range.

Bury responded well to falling behind and Melbourne’s keeper was called into action within minutes, tipping a shot over the bar after good work from Danny Mayor. Towards the later stages of the first-half Bury started to get to grips with Melbourne's formation and started to impose themselves more but still trailed 1-0 going into half-time. 

The second-half brought a much improved performance with Bury starting on the front foot right from the off, which resulted in two good chances for Ryan Lowe and Danny Mayor.
After a sustained period of pressure a deflected effort from Andrew Tutte earned the Shakers a corner. From the resultant corner a pin point accurate ball from Chris Hussey was fired home from close range by Pablo Mills.  

Despite the momentum, Melbourne City did net their second as fortune allowed their striker to turn his defender before stretching to poke the ball past the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Once again, Bury reacted well and almost found an immediate equaliser with Daniel Nardiello striking the crossbar.

Seven minutes later, the Shakers did draw level, with Danny Mayor providing a cross to the back-post, which saw Craig Jones smash the ball into the bottom corner.

From then on, the focus for both sides appeared to be to avoid defeat, but Bury kept good controlled possession and with limited chances saw the game out well.

Advertisement block