Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Daggers hold Shakers at the JD

22 March 2014

Dagenham head south with a point

Bury were left frustrated by Dagenham and Redbridge goalkeeper Chris Lewington after he denied them numerous times as the two sides drew 1-1 at the JD Stadium.

Chris Hussey opened his Bury account with a goal in the 60th minute before Luke Norris pulled the visitors level six minutes later.

The Shakers made two changes to the side that faced Torquay on Tuesday with Brian Jensen and Chris Hussey coming in for Reice Charles-Cook and Tom Soares. Andy Procter was back on the bench as well as he replaced Soares, who was ruled out through injury.

The first half had a very slow tempo and it wasn’t until the 15th minute when the first chance of the game occurred. Frederic Veseli played a quick free kick down the line and Danny Nardiello reached it ahead of Chris Lewington but he fired wide from a tight angle.

As the first half progressed Bury came into the game more and Craig Jones went close five minutes after Nardiello’s shot. Chris Hussey sent in a deep cross to the back post and Jones leapt above Jack Connors but his header landed on the roof of the net.

Dagenham were being put under heavy pressure and could have gone behind on numerous occasions. Gavin Hoyte intercepted the ball in a last ditch tackle to prevent Danny Mayor getting a shot at goal and Jim McNulty nearly got his head on the end of a Craig Jones flick on at the back post.

The best chance of the first half fell to Clive Platt though after Dagenham played a risky ball across their own eighteen yard area. The clearance was poorly struck and fell to Platt in the six yard area but Lewington was equal to it. He flung himself in front of the ball and blocked Platt’s shot out for a corner.

HT: Bury 0-0 Dagenham

Dagenham started the second half the better of the two teams and Brian Jensen was in action early on. First he charted thirty yards out of his goal to deny Luke Norris a chance on goal before saving at the feet of Adebayo Azeez, despite appeals for a penalty from the away dugout.

The opening goal of the game came in the 60th minute when Chris Hussey opened his account for the Shakers following good work from Danny Mayor. Mayor drove forward at Gavin Hoyte and played a perfectly weighted reverse pass to the overlapping Hussey, who then fired in from a tight angle.

GOAL: Bury 1-0 Dagenham and Redbridge (Chris Hussey 60)

It could have been 2-0 two minutes after the goal but Chris Lewington denied Clive Platt from close range again. Danny Mayor picked Platt out in the box and his first time shot was heading towards the bottom corner before Lewington halted it trajectory with a great one handed reflex save.

Four minutes after the Lewington save Dagenham equalised through Luke Norris. He received the ball on the left hand side of the area and drove towards goal before curling it in the far corner past Brian Jensen.

GOAL: Bury 1-1 Dagenham and Redbridge (Luke Norris 66)

David Flitcroft introduced two players into the game in quick succession as Andy Procter replaced Andrew Tutte then Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro came on for Clive Platt.
It was the first substitution that was involved in the action first when he met Chris Hussey’s corner with a glancing header but it smashed against the bar and Dagenham were able to clear the danger.

Six minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official and the final half chance of the game was created by the home side. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro broke down the right hand side and tried to pick out Danny Nardiello but the pass was intercepted by Scott Doe and cleared.

FT: Bury 1-1 Dagenham and Redbridge

With the game finishing 1-1, Bury are now 19th in SkyBet League Two with a game in hand over the teams around them.

Bury: Jensen, Hussey, McNulty, Mills, Veseli, Mayor (Young 90), Tutte (Procter 72), Sedgwick, Jones, Platt (Akpa Akpro 75), Nardielllo

Advertisement block