Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late show at Plainmoor

19 March 2014

Shakers defeated in injury time at Torquay


Bury suffered a late defeat to Torquay on Tuesday night as a late Ashley Yeoman goal sunk the Shakers in injury time. 

Torquay took the lead early on through Lee Mansell before Clive Platt equalised for Bury and it looked like the points would have been shared until Yeoman's late goal. 

David Flitcroft made four changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Southend as Reice Charles-Cook, Craig Jones, Danny Nardiello and Clive Platt came in for Brian Jensen, Chris Hussey, Ashley Grimes and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.

The Shakers nearly conceded in the opening five minutes after the referee failed to give a free kick for a foul on Reice Charles-Cook and Pablo Mills was forced to clear off the line from Elliot Benyon.

However Torquay were ahead two minutes later as Shamir Goodwin picked out Dale Tonge with a reverse pass. Tonge put the ball into the box and Lee Mansell met it with his head from close range to give Torquay the lead.

GOAL: Torquay 1-0 Bury (Lee Mansell 7)

Bury's first shot on target came in the 15th minute when Danny Mayor turned on the ball and fired a shot from 20 yards but Torquay goalkeeper Martin Rice was equal to the effort and palmed it away.

The next away attack came even closer to nestling into the back of the net as Craig Jones burst into the box following a deflection off Kevin Nicholson. Jones aimed for the far corner and saw his shot trickle just wide of the far post.

The game calmed down after the two chances and the teams went into the half time break with Torquay in the lead.

The Shakers came out for the second half firing and created a chance five minutes into the second half when Clive Platt latched onto Chris Sedgwick's free kick. Sedgwick floated the ball to the back post and Platt rose above Krystian Pearce but his header missed the goal by a matter of inches.

Platt was involved in the action again in the 65th minute and this time he got the equaliser. Danny Mayor headed the ball forward after Sedgwick's free kick was cleared and Platt was first to react as he placed the ball into the far corner out of the reach of Rice.

GOAL: Torquay 1-1 Bury (Clive Platt 65)

Following the goal, Bury moved into a 4-4-2 system and pushed for a winner and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, on for Danny Nardiello, came closest when he nearly got onto the end of a Craig Jones cross.

With eight minutes of the game left Reice Charles-Cook made an important save as he got down low to deny Lee Mansell a second of the night but he couldn't prevent Torquay's winner, which came in injury time.

Kevin Nicholson whipped a ball into the box and the ball landed at Ashley Yeoman's feet to fire in a late winner and sink the Shakers to defeat.

GOAL: Torquay 2-1 Bury (Ashley Yeoman 90)

The defeat means that Bury are now without a win in four but can amend that quickly as they take on Dagenham and Redbridge at the JD Stadium on Saturday.

Advertisement block