Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sunny Southend Stalemate

15 March 2014

No goals at Roots Hall but Shakers take the point

Bury extended their unbeaten run to three games after drawing 0-0 with Southend at a sunny Roots Hall on Saturday afternoon.
Southend were reduced to 10 men late on in the game but then put all 10 men behind the ball to frustrate Bury and the points were shared.
David Flitcroft made four changes to the starting eleven that played Fleetwood Town on Tuesday with new signing Chris Hussey, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, Ashley Grimes and Tom Soares coming in for Jake Carroll, Clive Platt, Danny Nardiello and Tommy Miller.
The game started off with a slow tempo and neither team created much of an opening in the first ten minutes of the game with Southend going closest to getting an effort on target when Pablo Mills blocked a Freddy Eastwood shot out for a corner.
Mills was in action once again in the 17th minute as he tracked his man well and got across to Anthony Straker and prevented him from getting a shot away at Brian Jensen.
Bury’s first chance of the half fell to Danny Mayor in the 23rd minute after good work between Ashley Grimes and Andrew Tutte. Grimes played a perfectly weighted pass down the line for Tutte to chase after and his cross was tipped into the path of Danny Mayor by Daniel Bentley but the Sheffield Wednesday loanee saw his effort blocked by Marc Laird.
Just before the half time whistle new loan signing Chris Hussey was booked for handball but the Southend free kick came to nothing and Bury were able to clear the ball with ease.
David Flitcroft made a change at half time as Brian Jensen was replaced by Reice Charles-Cook, who was making his professional debut after joining from Arsenal in the summer.
Charles-Cook was involved in the action early on in the second half as he was tested with numerous high crosses but dealt with them with ease and relieved the pressure off the Bury defence.
The second Bury substitution of the afternoon came in the 57th minute and it was a reshuffle upfront with Ashley Grimes coming off for Clive Platt.
Similar to the first half, the second half had a slow tempo and the next piece of action came in the 70th minute when Ben Coker whipped in a ball from the right hand side of the penalty area but Barry Corr headed well wide of the Shakers goal.
Corr was involved in the action again with ten minutes to go as he received a straight red card for an off the ball incident with Frederic Veseli. The linesman on the near side spotted it and, after a conversation with him, referee Lee Collins showed the former Swindon Town striker a red card and Southend had to play out the final part of the game with ten men.
Lewis Young was introduced into the game with five minutes left but didn’t have much of an impact as Southend sat deep and protected Daniel Bentley with all ten men.
As four minutes added time was indicated, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro spun on the edge of the area and got a shot away but it was straight at Daniel Bentley and the full time whistle followed shortly after.
The result means Bury are now three games unbeaten ahead of a long away trip to Torquay for the re-arranged game from February 8th.

Bury: Jensen (Charles-Cook 45), McNulty, Mills, Veseli, Hussey (Young 86), Tutte, Sedgwick, Soares, Mayor, Akpa Akpro, Grimes (Platt 57)

Advertisement block