Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Bury 1 Fleetwood Town 1

20 March 2014

Shakers claim a point from Fleetwood

The conditions proved to be a leveller as swirling wind and rain blew around Salford City’s Moor Lane ground in what turned out to be quite a dull affair between the Youth Team and Fleetwood.

The first half was very scrappy with neither team creating much by the way of goal scoring opportunities. The Shakers playing a 3-5-2 formation in similar fashion to recent first team line ups looked comfortable in defence, playing the offside trap well but suffered from a lack of quality in the other two thirds of the pitch.

It was Bury who looked most likely to score with the threat of Regan Walker and Anthony Dudley up front and it was Dudley who had the first chance, breaking between the Fleetwood centre backs only to misfire when through on goal.

This proved to be a sighter for Dudley though as with a near identical move a few minutes later, Bury’s number nine broke through again this time to slide his finish past the out-rushing Fleetwood goalkeeper.

Fleetwood didn’t provide much in response to the opening goal, much of their attacks coming centrally which played into Bury’s hands with the strength of Poscha, Cliffe and Potter in defence. It was the Shakers distribution and forward passing which let them down however, surrendering possession too easily despite having an extra player in midfield. Walker went closest for Bury on 30 minutes after getting in behind the Fleetwood defence only to put his shot wide, but this was the only other highlight of a poor first half.

The second half begun as the first had ended with Bury looking the more dominant team physically but turning over possession to Fleetwood very cheaply. There was some action in the final third as Walker and Dudley looked to link up but Bury seemed to be lacking a clinical edge and tempo to their play.

This seemed to encourage Fleetwood who started to commit more bodies forward in search of an equaliser.  As the half went on Fleetwood grew in confidence and most of the play was in the Bury half.  As the home side struggled to get out, it seemed a matter of time before an equalising goal came. This was exactly the case on 66 minutes as a cross from the right hand side found its way across the penalty area all the way to Fleetwood’s left winger who side footed into the net to draw the teams’ level.

With the teams tied you could have expected a grand stand finish to the match but this wasn’t to be. There were half chances for both teams, Cliffe coming closest for Bury meeting a corner with a powerful header, but neither could find the elusive winning goal. A draw was a fair result on reflection, with both teams dominating a half each.

Up next for the Shakers is a home match versus Burnley on Tuesday 25th March at Radcliffe Borough.

Advertisement block