Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Held at Morecambe

3 May 2014

Shakers keep a clean sheet as the Beast departs

Brian Jensen saw out his Bury career with a clean sheet at the Globe Arena as the Shakers and Morecambe drew 0-0 in the final game of the season.

The result sees the Shakers finish 12th in the division and a massive turnaround from December when they were in 23rd place.

David Flitcroft made two changes to the starting eleven that faced Portsmouth with Scott Burgess, making his professional debut, and Nathan Cameron coming in for the recalled Chris Hussey and injured Clive Platt. Three youth team players were named on the bench as well with Regan Walker, Anthony Dudley and Marcus Poscha included in the six substitutes.

Morecambe made a better start to the game and created a chance within the opening five minutes when Jack Redshaw played the ball back to Ryan Williams on the edge of the area. He struck a fierce effort towards goal which deflected off the head of Nathan Cameron and out for a corner which was cleared with ease.

With 19 minutes gone Brian Jensen was called into action for the first time to deny Kevin Ellison. Ellison received the ball on the edge of the area and spun to get a shot away but Jensen was equal to it and stopped the shot flying into the back of the net.

Most of the first half was played in the middle of the field with neither team getting a foothold on the game. Andrew Fleming went close twice but his first effort fell onto the roof of the net and his second was tipped over the bar by the departing Jensen. 

The Shakers rarely tested Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal during the opening 45 minutes but he was called into the action before half time as he flapped at a cross from Craig Jones and Tom Soares beat him in the air but couldn’t find a way past the Morecambe defenders on the line.

HT: Morecambe 0-0 Bury

Another professional debut was handed out in the 54th minute when Marcus Poscha came on for Scott Burgess. The change saw Craig Jones moved to an attacking position of right midfield and Poscha slot into his usual role of right back.

Two minutes later Brian Jensen made the save of the match when he denied Andrew Fleming from close range. Jim McNulty’s clearance cannoned off Kevin Ellison and into the path of Fleming and it looked like his effort would nestle in the roof of the net but Jensen pulled off a world class save to deny the Morecambe midfielder.

Both teams already knew that they would be playing League Two football next season but didn’t stop them from going for the win and it was Bury who next went close to getting the opening goal. Marcus Poscha beat his man in the air to head the ball down to Craig Jones, who flicked the ball over Mark Hughes and raced towards the byline. He showed great determination to get past Andy Parrish and pulled the ball back for Danny Mayor but his effort was just over the bar.

Regan Walker, having spent time on loan at Hyde earlier in the season, was introduced into the game in the 78th minute when he replaced Everton loanee Hallam Hope and it was the returning loanee who had the final chance of the game.

In the 12 minutes that he was on the pitch he showed great enthusiasm and desire to run at defenders and was rewarded when he spun past his man on the edge of the box. However as he pulled the trigger Andy Parrish blocked his shot in the six yard area. 

Two minutes of added time was signalled at the end of the second half but neither team created anything of note and the points were shared.

The result sees the Shakers drop down to 12th position but have already got the core of the team signed on for the 2014/15 campaign including the recent addition of Danny Mayor on a three year deal.

Bury: Jensen, McNulty, Mills, Cameron, Jones, Soares, Sedgwick, Burgess (Poscha 54), Tutte, Mayor, Hope (Walker 78)

Advertisement block