Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Defeat at Morecambe

17 November 2014

Shakers suffer away day defeat at the Globe Arena

Bury remain without a win away from the JD Stadium since the 13th September after losing 1-0 at Morecambe on Saturday afternoon.

A 69th minute goal from Kevin Ellison was enough to secure the three points for the Shrimps to leave Bury in 5th place in SkyBet League Two.

David Flitcroft made one change from Tuesday's night defeat against Tranmere with Chris Hussey replacing Danny Nardiello as the Shakers lined up with a back four instead of their usual back three.

Kevin Ellison was involved in the action frequently early on as he headed onto the roof of the net before seeing his shot blocked by Chris Hussey on the edge of the area.

Morecambe had a chance to open the scoring in the 24th minute after they got a corner following Scott Loach's save from Paul Mullin. The corner was swung into the middle and met by a free header from Alan Goodall but his header was well wide of the post.

The missed chance seemed to give Bury a lift and they created one of their own two minutes later. Danny Mayor broke free of his marker in midfield and picked out the run of Nicky Adams but his first time shot flew over the bar and out for a goal kick.

Mayor was involved again in the 28th minute as he threaded a ball through to Chris Hussey, who crossed first time and former Bury defender Mark Hughes nearly diverted the ball into his own net.

The Shakers ended the first half on top and came close to opening the scoring on two occasions before the interval. First, Danny Mayor created room on the edge of the area and got a shot away which was palmed clear by Scott Davies before Kevin Ellison cleared a Nathan Cameron header almost on the line.

David Flitcroft made his first change of the afternoon in the 54th minute as Danny Nardiello replaced Andrew Tutte and it was the substitute who had to clear Mark Hughes' shot off the line in the 57th minute.

The home side opened the scoring twelve minutes later after Kevin Ellison prodded home from close range. Morecambe substitute Jack Redshaw created room for himself on the edge of the area before curling a shot towards goal which was parried by Scott Loach into the path of Ellison, who had an easy finish to make it 1-0.

Following the goal Bury searched for an equaliser and almost got one immediately. Danny Nardiello turned his man in the corner and floated the ball into the box but Danny Rose couldn't get his header on target and it flashed wide of the post.

Ellison had a chance to seal the three points in the 84th minute but he was unable to score despite being unmarked at the back post. The 35 year old then forced Scott Loach into a good save a minute later after breaking the offside trap.

As time ticked by towards the final whistle, Bury threw players forward with Nathan Cameron being played as a striker and it was his flick on from Chris Hussey's corner that created a half chance for Danny Rose but he couldn't get a clean contact on the ball and the danger was cleared.

Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half but Bury couldn't get the equaliser which means that the Shakers haven't picked up three points away from home since the 3-0 win at Carlisle in September.

Video reaction from David Flitcroft will be online at some point on Sunday

Advertisement block