Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers Buried

22 November 2014

Shakers stutter as visitors take all three points

Bury suffered only their second league defeat in just over 12 months as they lost 3-1 against Newport County on Saturday afternoon.


Danny Rose pulled a goal back in the second half to make it 2-1 but a late Aaron O'Connor strike secured his hat trick and the three points for the away side.


David Flitcroft made two changes to the team that played Morecambe with Ryan Lowe and Hayden White coming in for Andrew Tutte and Pablo Mills.


Bury were behind inside three minutes after Aaron O'Connor put the away side into the lead. Lee Minshull dispossessed both Tom Soares and Jim McNulty before Yan Klukowski played in O'Connor. The Newport number 10 took one touch to set himself and then placed the ball into the far corner to give the away side the lead.


The Shakers reacted well to going behind and nearly had an equaliser straight away but Danny Rose's header landed on the roof of the net.


Bury continued their pressure and came close again in the 10th minute. Tom Soares brought the ball down with an exquisite first touch and threaded it through to Ryan Lowe, who in turn played it to Nicky Adams but his first time shot was just wide of the post.


O'Connor had the chance to double his tally for the afternoon seven minutes later after Curtis Obeng put a teasing cross into the area but the Newport striker didn't get a clean contact on it and it ran out for a goal kick.


However it wasn't long until the former Rushden striker had added his second of the game following a defensive mix up in the 43rd minute. Scott Loach's clearance cannoned off debutant Hayden White and landed at the feet of O'Connor, who had an easy finish to make it 2-0.


The Shakers started the second half on top and created two chances within six minutes of the restart. First, Danny Rose got a shot away from the edge of the area to force Joe Day before Nicky Adams flashed a shot just wide of the post from Rose's cut back.


Bury pulled a goal back in the 61st minute as Rose added his eighth goal of the season. Adams skipped past two markers before passing to Rose, who placed it out of the reach of the dive of Day from 25 yards.


The goal spurred the home side on and came close to an equaliser almost immediately but Chris Hussey's ferocious shot was palmed away by Joe Day before Nicky Adams fired over the bar from the edge of the area.


Adams turned provider for the next chance as his free kick flew across the face of the goal with no Bury player able to divert the ball goalwards.


Five minutes of added time were signaled at the end of the second half and it was all Bury going into the final few minutes of the game. However they couldn't find away past Newport goalkeeper Joe Day as he pulled off his most impressive save of the afternoon from Hussey's free kick.


Newport added their third goal of the game to seal the three points as Aaron O'Connor completed his hat trick on the counter attack. He made his way into the area and took it around Scott Loach before placing the ball in the back of the net to make it 3-1.


The final whistle sounded shortly after and it means that Bury have now lost three games in a row in all competitions ahead of next week's home game against Dagenham. 

Advertisement block