Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers in the hat

8 November 2014

Shakers come from behind to progress in the FA Cup

Bury progressed to the a Second Round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win against Hemel Hempstead but were pushed right to the end by the Conference South side.


Late goals from Nathan Cameron and Danny Nardiello sealed the win late on after Andrew Tutte had cancelled out James Potton's opener.


David Flitcroft made three changes to the starting eleven that beat Cambridge with Tom Kennedy, Andrew Tutte and Courtney Duffus replacing Craig Jones, Tom Soares and Ryan Lowe whilst youth team players Jack Ruddy, Scott Burgess and Anthony Dudley were named on the bench.


The away side shocked the JD Stadium by taking the lead early on through winger James Potton. A corner wasn't fully cleared and Daniel Talbot scooped the ball to Potton, whose shot went in via a slight deflection off Pablo Mills.


Bury pushed for an equaliser from the restart and levelled the scores in the 16th minute. Kelvin Etuhu's shot was blocked by Moussa Diarra and the rebound fell to the feet of Andrew Tutte, who expertly placed the ball in the corner of the net with a first time finish to make it 1-1.


Potton was a threat for Hemel Hempstead early on and forced Rob Lainton into making a save with 19 minutes played. He skipped past the challenge of Etuhu and fired a left footed effort towards goal which Lainton palmed away from danger.


The Shakers had a strong penalty appeal turned down by referee Andy Haines seven minutes after the Lainton save. Nicky Adams got the ball out of his feet and aimed a cross into the box that was blocked by the raised arm of Wes Daly but the home side's appeals were waved away and play continued.


As the first half came to a close Bury piled on the pressure and came close to a second goal twice. Danny Rose had a header cleared off the line before Danny Mayor was denied by Hemel goalkeeper Laurie Walker following a strong run from the halfway lined.


David Flitcroft made one change at half time with Danny Nardiello replacing Courtney Duffus and it was the substitute who had the first chance of the half. Danny Mayor floated a cross to the back post and Nardiello hung in the hair before heading goal wards but saw his header saved by Walker.


The home side continued their onslaught of attacks and were once again denied by Walker in the 58th minute. Danny Mayor cut in the left wing, took the ball past two defenders and got his shot away through a crowded area but Walker was equal to it and tipped it around the post.


Hemel Hempstead were constantly camped in their own half during the second half as Bury piled the pressure on. Danny Rose headed wide from Chris Hussey's centre before Nathan Cameron headed over from another Hussey cross.


Laurie Walker was called into action again in the 83rd minute as he pulled off his most impressive save of the game. Nicky Adams attacked down the right and pulled the ball back to Andrew Tutte, who took aim with his first touch but was denied by a finger tip save by Walker.


The pressure paid off with two minutes of normal time remaining when Nathan Cameron hammered home from close range. Joe Thompson headed down Chris Hussey's cross and Cameron volleyed home on the turn to put the Shakers in the lead for the first time in the game.


Five minutes added time were indicated at the end of the second half and Hemel threw players forward which resulted in holes being left at the back. Bury exploited the holes in the fourth minute of added time with Nicky Adams chasing down a flick on from Danny Rose before crossing for Danny Nardiello to head home and seal progression into the Second Round of the FA Cup.


The final whistle sounded shortly after to put the rubber stamp on Bury's name in the Second Round draw but Hemel Hempstead deserved credit for their impressive performance with them thwarting Bury until late on.

Advertisement block