Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers out of JPT

12 November 2014

Two minutes of madness costly for Shakers

Bury were knocked out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the Quarter Final stage on Tuesday evening after losing 2-1 to Tranmere Rovers at the JD Stadium.


Nathan Cameron had put the Shakers ahead in the 35th minute before two late goals in the first half from Max Power and Danny Johnson saw the away side take the lead.


David Flitcroft made three changes to the side that played Hemel Hempstead in the FA Cup on Saturday with Danny Nardiello, Tom Soares and Scott Loach coming in for Courtney Duffus, Tom Kennedy and Rob Lainton. Hallam Hope, re-signed on loan from Everton earlier in the day, had to settle for a place on the Shakers bench.


The first half of the game had a very slow tempo to it with neither team creating chances at either end. Bury came closest to opening the scoring in the 17th minute when Danny Nardiello's low cross nearly trickled in after Peter Brezovan let it roll across his area.


The game came to life in the 35th minute when Bury took the lead following a perfectly weighted cross from Nicky Adams. Nathan Cameron slowly made progress up the field and found himself free in the area to place Adams' cross in the far corner to give the Shakers the lead.


It looked like the home side would head into the interval with a slender lead until Tranmere turned the game on its head in the final two minutes of the half. Max Power equalised with a 30 yard free kick that sneaked in at Scott Loach's near post before Danny Johnson put Tranmere into the lead in the 44th minute in controversial circumstances. Andrew Tutte was down in his own half as Tranmere broke and Johnson found himself free in the six yard box to tap home from close range.


Flitcroft made a double change at the break with Hallam Hope and Joe Thompson coming on for Danny Rose and Danny Nardiello. It was substitute Thompson who had the first chance of the half but Tranmere goalkeeper Brezovan had his first time shot covered.


The Shakers continued their pressure with Danny Mayor next to test Brezovan before Nicky Adams came close to an equaliser but his long range shot went just over the bar.


Brezovan was a busy man as the second half progressed with the Tranmere goalkeeper thwarting Bury on multiple occasions. Danny Mayor played in Hallam Hope, who saw his shot blocked by Brezovan before Joe Thompson's follow up hit the side netting.


The former Slovakian under 21 goalkeeper was in fine form again to prevent Nathan Cameron's header hitting the back of the net and was in action again with three minutes left with perhaps the save of the night to smother an effort from Hallam Hope from close range.


Four minutes of added time were signaled at the end of the second half but the Shakers couldn't find an equaliser and were eliminated from the competition at the Quarter Final stage.


Bury are back in Sky Bet League Two action on Saturday as they travel to the Globe Arena in a 2.30pm kick off. 

Advertisement block