Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth come of age at Vale Park

19 November 2014

Behind twice, extra time and a seven goal thriller

Bury's youth team secured their place in the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup on Tuesday night after a 4-3 AET win over Port Vale.


A double from George Miller and goals from Jake Durham and Scott Burgess helped seal an away tie against Premier League side Manchester United in the next round.


Bury didn't get off to the best of starts at Vale Park as Port Vale took the lead inside two minutes. A quick free kick was worked into the box and Dan Turner squared for Mackenzie Faulkner to tap in at the back post.


The Shakers hit back straight away and were level in the 10th minute. Faulkner went from hero to zero as he misjudged a clearance from Matty Foulds which allowed George Miller a free run at goal.


The first half was an end to end game with both teams creating chances but it was the home side who regained the lead in the 39th minute. Billy Reeves picked the ball up around twenty yards shot and released a left footed shot from the edge of the area that trickled into the back of the net off the inside of the post.


However it wasn't long until Bury levelled through Jake Durham as he tapped in from close range just a minute later. The impressive Miller broke down the right hand side and pulled it back for Durham to apply the finish from ten yards out.


The first half action wasn't over there though with the young Shakers side taking the lead for the first time in the 44th minute. The ball was blocked numerous times until it fell to Burgess, who composed himself and slotted home to make it 3-2.


Similar to the first half, Port Vale started the second half well and hit the bar in the 47th minute with Jack Ruddy claiming the rebound with ease. Ruddy was in action again thirteen minutes later as a combination of the Scotsman and Ben Potter blocked an Omar Haughton shot almost on the line.


Following a flurry of early chances Bury started to get a hold on the home and created a few themselves. Anthony Dudley was denied his 19th goal of the season by Harry Pickering before the Port Vale goalkeeper did well to prevent Scott Burgess' effort sneaking in at the near post.


Pickering was keeping his side in the game and Port Vale managed to get an equaliser in the fifth minute of added time. Jonny Kapend found himself free in the area and was able to slide the ball out of the reach of Ruddy to send the tie to extra time.


The Shakers came out of the blocks firing and their early pressure was rewarded inside a minute. Marcus Poscha flicked on a free kick and George Miller reacted quickest to stab home for his second of the game.


Miller had further chances to seal his hat trick but Pickering did well to deny him twice, once in each half of extra time.


As the final minutes of extra time ticked by, Ben Potter was shown a yellow card for time wasting and Bury saw out the game to set up a Third Round tie away at Manchester United.


Bury: Ruddy, Gibson, Foulds, Poscha (C), Potter, Durham (Crosdale 74), Bourne, Mohammed, Burgess, Miller, Dudley (McCarthy 112) Subs not used: Williams, Kimmins, Wordingham

Advertisement block