Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

All square at Roots Hall

26 October 2014

Craig Jones brings back a point for Shakers

Bury picked up their first away point from home in four games with Craig Jones equalising late on in a 1-1 draw with Southend United.


The Welsh wingback struck with nineteen minutes left to cancel out Barry Corr's opener and earn a share of the points for the Shakers.


David Flitcroft made four changes to the side that lost 5-0 against Shrewsbury with Ryan Lowe, Danny Rose, Craig Jones and Nicky Adams being replaced by Chris Sedgwick, Tom Kennedy, Courtney Duffus and Andrew Tutte.


The opening twenty minutes of the game were a very scrappy affair with both teams getting stuck in in the middle of the pitch. The first noteworthy chance of the game came in the 19th minute when Michael Timlin tried to catch out Rob Lainton with a quick free kick but his effort went into the side netting.


Minutes after the half hour mark Everton loanee Courtney Duffus had a chance to put Bury ahead. Duffus, who turned 19 yesterday, intercepted a poor back header from John White and was left one-on-one with Daniel Bentley but the Southend goalkeeper stood his ground and saved at his feet.


The home side took the lead in the 37th minute through striker Barry Corr when he netted from Timlin's free kick. Corr chested the ball down at the back post before volleying into the back of the net to give Southend the advantage eight minutes before half time.


GOAL: Southend 1-0 Bury (Barry Corr 37')


It could have been 2-0 three minutes before the half time whistle but Corr headed wide just yards from goal.


HT: Southend 1-0 Bury


Flitcroft made two changes at half time with Ryan Lowe and Craig Jones replacing Jim McNulty and Chris Sedgwick but it was one of the original starting eleven that had the first shot on target in the second half. Courtney Duffus found himself in space on the edge of the area and curled a shot towards goal that was saved by Daniel Bentley. 


Substitute Lowe saw his cross-shot go close in the 58th minute before Flitcroft made his third and final change with Danny Rose coming on for Courtney Duffus after an impressive start to his Bury career.


The continued pressure from the Shakers paid off thirteen minutes later when they drew level through substitute Craig Jones. Danny Mayor floated a cross to the back post and Jones rose above his marker to level the scores with nineteen minutes to play.


GOAL: Southend 1-1 Bury (Craig Jones 71')


Tom Kennedy, in his first Bury appearance for seven years, seven months and a day, was involved in a controversial moment two minutes after the equaliser. David Worrall made his way into the box and went down under a challenge from Kennedy but referee Darren Drysdale waved away the protests which saw former Shaker Worrall booked.


As he time ticked by Bury looked for a winner and came close to one in the 89th minute. Kelvin Etuhu win the ball in midfield and drove the ball forward before playing in Danny Rose on the right hand side of the area but his shot was saved by Bentley. 


Five minutes added time were signalled at the end of the second half but neither team could grab a late winner and the two teams shared the points. The Shakers are back in action at the JD Stadium next as they take on Cambridge a United next Saturday. 

Advertisement block