Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury v Tranmere Match Report

27 October 2014

Bury v Tranmere Youth Match Report....

Fifth placed Bury entertained fourth placed Tranmere on Saturday in a top of the table clash. Just three points separated the top five clubs, so a win for either side would see them take joint place at the top of the table, before the rest of the weekend’s fixtures took place. The Shakers had a point to prove after producing their worst performance of the season a week earlier with a 4-1 defeat away at Wigan.

Bury started the game brightly and were unlucky not be ahead within the 1st minute, when a searching cross from Scott Burgess was headed back across goal by Anthony Dudley, from which Khalid Mohammed sent a looping header over the keeper only to see it denied by a goal line clearance from a Tranmere defender. 

Bury started to dominate possession and took total control of the game, with their slick passing style which caused Tranmere countless problems.  Bury had more drive in the final third and sent in some excellent crosses from both wings.  

A goal from George Miller broke the deadlock early on, after some neat combination play around the box lead to him turning  a Tranmere defender and sending a ferocious shot off the inside of the post into the back of the net. 

Bury 1 – Tranmere 0 (George Miller)

Bury played some attractive football for the remainder of the first - half and created some excellent chances, but unfortunately each effort failed to find the back of the net.

A trailing Tranmere changed formation for the second-half, which could have caused the Shakers some problems but this wasn't the case.  

In the early exchanges George Miller broke through the visitors defence and was deep inside the Tranmere penalty area, he set the ball back for Henry Wordingham who played a perfect cross onto Anthony Dudley's head, who swiftly dispatched the ball into the Tranmere net from six yards out. 

Bury 2 – Tranmere 0 

Bury seemed to have total control of the game and continued to play some excellent football, looking as though they’d go on to score again, but the game changed on 70 minutes. A dip in concentration allowed the Tranmere forward to gain possession in the penalty area from a Tranmere throw, and as there seemed to be no danger Henry Wordingham went in with a poor challenge which gave the referee no option but to award a penalty. The visitors wasted no time in smashing home the spot kick.

Bury 2 – Tranmere 1

The goal spurred Tranmere on and they began to raise their game to try and stage a late come back. 

Bury withstood the odd Tranmere attack and were unlucky not to get goal number three when Dudley was sent clean through on goal. Dudley was well positioned and tried to square the ball from a George Miller pass to tap home goal number three, however the ball lacked conviction and was cleared by the visitors.

Tranmere rallied in the last minutes of injury time and forced a corner, the ball was sent into the home box which had virtually all 22 players in it. Bury initially failed to clear the cross and a goalmouth scramble took place, but much to their relief they somehow managed to clear the ball to safety, to see the Shakers deservedly claim all 3 points.

Bury probably produced their best football of the season in the opening 45minutes. They had to be resolute and defended well in the second - half, this was an excellent all round team performance and put Bury joint top of the league. 

Advertisement block