Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Defeat at Kingsmeadow

12 October 2014

Shakers come unstuck at Wimbledon

Bury suffered their third league defeat of the season at the hands of AFC Wimbledon on Saturday afternoon at the Cherry Red Records Stadium.


A double from Adebayo Akinfenwa and one from Matt Tubbs was enough to secure the three points despite second half goals from Danny Mayor and Ryan Lowe.


Bury boss David Flitcroft made four changes to the side that progressed in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in midweek with Jim McNulty, Tom Soares, Kelvin Etuhu and Ryan Lowe replacing Chris Hussey, Andrew Tutte, Chris Sedgwick and Danny Rose.


The Shakers started brightly and were on the front foot from the off with Adam Barrett blocking a Ryan Lowe shot whilst Nicky Adams saw his shot saved down low by AFC Wimbledon goalkeeper James Shea.


The away side continued to pile the pressure on the Wimbledon defence and looked increasing likely to open the scoring. Ryan Lowe went close again in the 17th minute as he got his head onto a Craig Jones cross but his header flashed wide of the post.


James Shea kept the score line howled five minutes later when he pulled off a fantastic save to deny Danny Mayor. The former Sheffield Wednesday man cut in off the wing and skipped past two players before getting a shot away but the ex-Arsenal man was equal to it and palmed it away.


AFC Wimbledon took the led against the run of the play in the 22nd minute through Adebayo Akinfenwa. George Francomb got to the byline and crossed to the back post for Akinfenwa to stroke the ball home after Nathan Cameron misjudged the flight of the ball.


The Shakers rallied round after going behind and could have been level inside two minutes after they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after a foul on a Nicky Adams. Ryan Lowe stepped up to take it and was inches away from an equaliser as hit effort crashed against the bar and out for a goal kick.


Like their first goal, AFC Wimbledon scored against the run of play with Akinfenwa adding his second of the game. Sean Rigg crossed to the back post and Akinfenwa got in between Pablo Mills and Jim McNulty to double the home side's advantage heading into the break.


Whatever David Flitcroft said at half time worked as the Shakers reduced the deficit just top four minutes into the second half. Tom Soares played the ball into Danny Mayor and he picked out the far corner of the net to make it 2-1.


However it wasn't long until AFC Wimbledon restored their two goal advantage. Just three minutes after the goal a training ground routine caught the Bury defence out and Matt Tubbs stabbed home from ten yards to regain their two goal cushion.



Flitcroft made a change shortly after the goal with Danny Rose replacing Danny Nardiello which also brought a change to the system with Etuhu moving to defensive midfield, Nicky Adams and Tom Soares as wingers and Danny Mayor moving to the number 10 role.


The change in formation brought more success as the Shakers pulled the AFC Wimbledon midfield apart with quick flowing moves but didn't bring a goal. Flitcroft made another change in the 66th minute with Chris Hussey coming on for Pablo Mills and Jim McNulty returned to his usual role of centre back.


Hussey made an immediate impact as he won Bury a penalty just five minutes after coming on. His run into the box was halted by Barry Fuller with him being dragged to the ground and referee Gavin Ward had no choice but to award the penalty and book the AFC Wimbledon full back. Ryan Lowe took on penalty duties and made no mistake from the spot despite James Shea guessing the right way.


Following their second goal, Bury pushed on for the equaliser but were unable to create any clear-cut chances and headed back up North despite dominating for the majority of the game.


The Shakers slipped to third with the defeat with Wycombe and Burton winning ahead of Saturday's game at the JD Stadium against Portsmouth. 

Advertisement block