Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers reclaim top spot

5 October 2014

Kelvin Etuhu and Danny Nardiello put the Shakers back into pole position

Bury moved back to the top of the league after beating Tranmere Rovers 2-0 at the JD Stadium on Saturday afternoon.


Second half goals from Kelvin Etuhu and Danny Nardiello secured the three points for the Shakers to send them top again after Wycombe drew with Northampton whilst Burton lost to Cambridge on Friday night.


David Flitcroft made three changes to the side that lost against Exeter with Andrew Tutte coming in for the suspended Danny Mayor whilst Shwan Jalal and Danny Rose replaced Rob Lainton and Danny Nardiello.


Tranmere had the first chance of the game when Danny Holmes crossed to the back post for Abdulai Baggie but his header was wide of the net from six yards out.


The home side responded well to the chance and created one of their own in the 19th minute. Nathan Cameron played a cross field ball to Tom Soares and he chested it down before taking it past his man. He took another touch to set himself before unleashing a ferocious shot towards goal that went just over the bar.


Rovers thought they should have a penalty ten minutes later when Andrew Tutte tangled with Baggie in the area but referee Andy Haines waved away their appeals and the Shakers set off on a counter attack. The ball eventually made its way to the edge of the area and Nicky Adams got a shot away, only for his effort to be palmed away by a strong hand from former loanee Owain fon Williams.


Both sides pushed for a goal in the remaining minutes of the first half but neither could find a way past either goalkeeper and the two sides went into the interval goalless.


HT: Bury 0-0 Tranmere


The Shakers started the second half a lot better than their opponents and created a chance eight minutes in. Craig Jones floated the ball to the back post and Danny Rose outjumped his marker and got a header away towards goal but fon Williams was equal to it and tipped it around the post.


The early pressure paid off in the 55th minute when Kelvin Etuhu grabbed his first goal for Bury with a sweet 20 yard strike. Nicky Adams whipped a corner in and, after a bit of pinball in the area, the ball fell to Etuhu on the edge of the area and the former Portsmouth man steered it into the bottom corner to make it 1-0.


GOAL: Bury 1-0 Tranmere (Kelvin Etuhu 55’)


Bury continued to pile the pressure on and were unlucky not to get a second thirteen minutes after their goal. Kelvin Etuhu nicked the ball off Matt Gill and strode over the half way line before playing in substitute Danny Nardiello but his shot flew across the face of goal and just wide of the post.


Shwan Jalal was hardly tested all afternoon with fon Williams the busiest of the two goalkeepers and a combination of him and Janoi Donacien deflected a Danny Nardiello shot for a corner after he was played in by Tom Soares.


Jalal was finally called into action in the 86th minute when former Welsh international Jason Koumas tested him from the edge of the area. Koumas found himself free on the edge of the area and shifted the ball onto his left foot to try and bend it into the corner but was denied by a strong right hand from Jalal.


The three points were secured the following minute as substitute Nardiello scored his fourth goal of the season. Fellow sub Chris Hussey whipped a corner to the near post and Nardiello beat his man to the ball to head in and double the advantage and seal the three points to move Bury back to the top of the league.


With Wycombe drawing against Northampton and Burton losing to Cambridge, Bury are back at the summit and are a point ahead of 2nd and 3rd ahead of next Saturday’s trip to AFC Wimbledon.

Advertisement block