Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Defeated in Devon

28 September 2014

Shakers slip at St James Park

Bury’s eight game unbeaten run came to an end at St James’ Park after a late Jimmy Keohane strike secured the three points for Exeter for their first home win of the season.


Tom Soares’ long range effort had cancelled out Matt Grimes’ early free kick until Keohane struck eight minutes from full time to ensure the Shakers travelled back to BL9 with 0 points.


David Flitcroft made one change to the team that beat Burton 3-1 with two goal hero Danny Nardiello coming in for Danny Rose to face his former club.


The Shakers made a positive start to the game and created a half chance in the third minute when Craig Jones burst forward and played in Nardiello but his shot was blocked by Christian Ribeiro.


Two minutes later Exeter were awarded a free kick just outside the box after a foul on Alex Nicholls. Three Grecians players stood over the ball but it was midfielder Matt Grimes who took it and he whipped it into the top corner to give Exeter an early lead.


GOAL: Exeter 1-0 Bury (Matt Grimes 5’)


The goal seemed to inspire Exeter to push on for a second and they came close with seventeen minutes played when Arron Davies cut inside and unleashed a ferocious shot towards goal that fizzled over the bar and out for a goal kick.


Bury responded well to the Exeter chance and, from the goal kick, they worked the ball up field through Danny Mayor. The former Sheffield Wednesday man jinked past two players and cut the ball back to Nicky Adams but he couldn’t get a clean connection on the ball and the chance was gone.


The away side dominated much of the first half and had another chance to equalise three minutes after the Adams miss but Nardiello couldn’t generate enough power in his shot to beat Christy Pym from the edge of the area.


The recently England U20 capped goalkeeper then denied Ryan Lowe with a great save in the 26th minute after Mayor fed the ex-Tranmere striker on the edge of the area.


Pym, announced as man of the match later on in the game, completed a hat trick of saves six minutes before the interval when Nicky Adams slid the ball across the face of goal towards Danny Nardiello but, once again, Pym was there to deny him.


HT: Exeter 1-0 Bury


Bury made a change at half time with Duane Holmes coming on to replace Nicky Adams for his 7th appearance in the white and blue of Bury.


With the Shakers coming out of the blocks firing in the second half but nothing going their way in the final third, David Flitcroft made his second change of the game in the 55th minute with Danny Rose brought on for Danny Nardiello.


Soon after the second substitute Bury got their equaliser but the goal didn’t come from the strikeforce of Lowe and Rose. Tom Soares cut in off the left wing and hit a powerful shot that nestled into the corner of the goal to level the scores with 59 minutes played.


GOAL: Exeter 1-0 Bury (Tom Soares 59’)


Following the goal Exeter came out on the attack again and the majority of their fans thought they had scored in the 67th minute but the effort was into the side netting. Rob Lainton did well to save a stinging effort from Alex Nicholls before Graham Cummins slammed the ball into the side netting and out for a goal kick.


As the minutes ticked by the Shakers continued to press for a winner but were unable to find a way past Pym in the Exeter goal. Duane Holmes tried his luck from long range and Pym met it with a fine save to tip it over the bar.


With less than ten minutes to go Exeter took the lead through substitute Jimmy Keohane. Rob Lainton rose high and claimed a looping header but as he landed, he collided with two players and the ball spilled out of his hands. Keohane pounced on the loose ball and tapped home from close range to give the Grecians the lead with eight minutes left to play.


GOAL: Exeter 2-1 Bury (Jimmy Keohane 82’)


Clive Platt was brought on for his first appearance of the season with two minutes left but it was fellow substitute Danny Rose who had the final chance of the game. Rose timed his run well to meet Craig Jones’ cross but his free header was over the bar and out of play for a goal kick.


Referee Stuart Attwell blew for full time shortly after and the result meant that Bury’s eight game unbeaten run was over with Exeter securing their third win in a row. The Shakers slip to 3rd in the league behind Burton and Wycombe ahead of Saturday’s home tie against Tranmere Rovers at the JD Stadium.


Attendance: 3,215 (254 Bury fans)

Advertisement block