Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full steam ahead for Shakers

3 April 2015

Shakers impress on the road again as the train keeps on rolling

Bury made it eight wins out of nine games as they stepped up their promotion push with a 2-0 win away at Cambridge United on Good Friday.

Goals from Nathan Cameron and Tom Soares secured the three points for the Shakers as they closed the gap on the third automatic promotion spot to just four points, with a game in hand on Wycombe.

David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven and substitute’s bench for the game after last week’s game against Southend United was abandoned after just six minutes of action.

Bury goalkeeper Nick Pope was in action early on at the R Costings Abbey Stadium as he pulled off an impressive save to deny Ryan Donaldson. The Cambridge centre midfielder let fly from 25 yards and Pope was equal to it as he tipped it over the crossbar with a finger tip save.

At the other end Chris Hussey tried his luck from long range as well. He lined up a free kick from 30 yards out and aimed for the top corner, calling Chris Dunn into action for the first time in the game as he beat his effort away from danger.

Tom Eaves picked up the first yellow card of the game in the 15th minute when he was cautioned for pulling back Cambridge’s Donaldson near the centre circle.

The Bolton loanee was involved in creating Bury’s next chance of the game four minutes later when he did well to pull the ball back for Tom Soares, but his effort was straight down the throat of Cambridge goalkeeper Dunn.

The away side’s pressure continued and they found themselves in the lead in the 23rd minute. A corner wasn’t fully cleared and Danny Mayor picked out Nathan Cameron at the back post in acres of space and the former Coventry centre back applied the finish to give the Shakers the lead.

Cambridge didn’t have any answers to the constant wave of Bury attacks and Chris Dunn had to be aware of the danger in the 30th minute to palm away Mayor’s low shot as it headed towards the bottom corner.

Four minutes of added time were signalled at the end of the first half and no further chances were created, much to the relief of Richard Money’s side as they could have easily been further behind at the interval.

Bury doubled their lead in the 53rd minute as Tom Soares added his sixth goal of the season. Tom Champion completely missed the ball which allowed Danny Mayor to nip in and release Soares, who made no mistake from eight yards out to send the 566 travelling Shakers wild behind the goal.

It could have been 3-0 seventeen minutes later when Cambridge’s Josh Coulson was nearly left red-faced as he headed narrowly over his own bar as substitute Danny Nardiello tried to pick out a white shirt in the box.

Nick Pope’s first real save of the second half came in the 72nd minute as he got down well to deny Sullay Kaikai after a mazy solo run before Ryan Bird headed wide unmarked at the back post.

The only negative of the game came in the four minutes of added time at the end of the second half when Adam El-Abd was stretchered off with what looked to be a knee injury after landing on it awkwardly.

The full time whistle sounded shortly after to continue Bury’s unbeaten run and apply further pressure to the top three as Wycombe and Burton both dropped points. The Shakers have another opportunity to close the gap on the automatic promotion places on Monday as they welcome Morecambe to the JD Stadium, 3pm kick off.

Advertisement block