Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: u18s v Morecambe

16 April 2015

The young Shakers took on Morecambe yesterday for their last game of the season.

Bury Youth Team finished their brilliant season off in style yesterday, with a 5-0 win over bottom of the league Morecambe.

The young Shakers ensured that the league title is theirs to lose, with Wigan Athletic the only team able to catch them with 2 games in-hand.

If Wigan lose one of those games, the first being against Preston North End on Saturday, the Shakers will be league champions. 

If not they will be runners-up which will still be a massive achievement for the side, who show the future is bright for the club.

Bury dominated the game from beginning to end, creating an abundance of chances and testing the goalkeeper on countless occasions.

1-0 The game started as it meant to go on with a Morecambe player kicking a Brayden Shaw corner into the back of his own net on 2 minutes.

On the 5th minute, George Miller was given the first real chance of the game for Bury, as a ball over the top of the Shrimps defence fell to the lively striker. He tried a lob over the on-rushing ‘keeper, who did well to grab it out of the air.

A good one-two on 12 minutes between Anthony Dudley and Brayden Shaw on the right side of the pitch, resulted in the latter having a well struck low shot from just outside the box saved by a goalkeeper who impressed throughout the game.

Young left-back Sam Gibson made a brilliant run into the box on 15 minutes from the wing, gliding past a number of players before seeing his shot go agonisingly wide.

Bury carried on probing the Morecambe defence, however they were putting large amounts of players behind the ball limiting the amount of chances being created.

2-0 After their constant pressure, Brayden Shaw got the Shakers’ second goal of the game on 27 minutes with a well-executed free-kick from the left side of the pitch.

The Shakers started becoming too much for the Shrimps to contain, with a large number of chances now being created.

The best of these chances came from a low Brayden Shaw shot from the edge of the box, which forced the Morecambe ‘keeper into a good save to deny the Shakers their third goal.

3-0 However, his efforts didn’t last long and on the stroke of half-time Marcus Poscha converted a Brayden Shaw corner after working himself into space to put the ball into the net.

The young Shakers went into the break with a 3-0 lead and a dominant performance to go with it, against a side that looked low in confidence.

The Morecambe keeper made two great saves on 47 minutes and 52 minutes. The first denying Brayden Shaw’s low shot at an angle from within the box, and the second denying a 25-yard screamer from Scott Burgess.

Ryan Kidd made a change on 61 minutes bringing on Raquarn Crosdale for Khalid Mohammed, to provide more pace on the wing.

4-0 Miller pounced on a loose ball in the box to get the youngsters their fourth goal of the game on 65 minutes.

Anthony Dudley came close to Bury’s fifth goal of the game 68 minutes after pouncing on a great through ball from Brayden Shaw, but his first touch was scooped up by the Morecambe ‘keeper.

The crowd at Bury’s Carrington Training Ground didn’t have to wait long to see the Shakers’ fifth goal of the game though.

5-0 On 70 minutes Scott Burgess placed a shot past the ‘keeper and into the net after a great run on the wing by Raquarn Crosdale, cutting inside and placing the ball perfectly for Burgess to convert.

The Shakers made a double substitution on 74 minutes with Jack Ruddy and Ben Potter making way for Rhys Williams and Rowan Kimmins.

Bury kept dominating and probing the now dishevelled Morecambe youngsters, with a good goalkeeping display the only thing stopping the score being larger.

The game saw the youngster’s ending the season with a well-earned 5-0 win to put the league table out of their hands.

Watch highlights of the match below:

Advertisement block