Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: u18s v Oldham Athletic

13 April 2015

Bury faced Oldham Athletic in the North West Youth Alliance on Saturday at Carrington Training Complex.

Bury under-18s took on Oldham Athletic on Saturday in their penultimate game of the season, the young Shakers needed to get back to winning ways to ensure they were still in the running for the league title.

They managed to do that in emphatic style scoring 3 goals in the last 10 minutes to win the match 5-1 and ensure that if they beat Morecambe on Wednesday, they will have done everything they could to get their hands on the title.

The Shakers started the game well, having a number of good chances in the first ten minutes. 

The first came in the 4th minute when Brayden Shaw crossed from deep into the path of the on-running Sam Gibson, but was intercepted.

Another chance came on the 7th minute when Brayden Shaw picked up the ball 25 yards out, drove to the edge of the box and unleashed a powerful shot which edged just wide.

Anthony Dudley nearly put Bury ahead in the 9th minute as his swinging shot from a Brayden Shaw free-kick was blocked and cleared.

1-0 Brayden Shaw put the Shakers ahead with a powerful shot on the edge of the box on 12 minutes after Khalid Mohammed cut the ball back to the forward from the by-line.

1-1 Oldham Athletic got their equaliser against the run of play with a penalty that was placed into the bottom left corner.

After the equaliser Oldham started forcing themselves into the game, with a good percentage of possession, however it didn’t last long.

On the 27th minute Scott Burgess saw an effort go just over the bar from the edge of the box after Brayden Shaw laid the ball to him.

The young Shakers had a brilliant chance to put themselves ahead when George Miller headed the ball brilliantly into the path of Khalid Mohammed in the box whose shot went just wide.

Bury had another great chance this time with Brayden Shaw putting a long ball to George Miller whose shot was saved by the Latics ‘keeper, the rebound fell back to the striker, but the ball was too lively to do anything with it.

2-1 On the 40th minute the Shakers got a deserved goal to put them into the lead just before half-time. 

Brayden Shaw whipped in a cross which came through the crowd of players to centre-back Marcus Poscha, who placed the ball past the keeper and into the net.

After the half-time break, both teams came out looking to get something out of the game, however there were very few chances for either side.

However by the 74th minute Bury had started dominating the game again, limiting Oldham’s time on the ball.

3-1 Anthony Dudley capitalised on this dominance pouncing on a Brayden Shaw free-kick from close range to get Bury’s third goal of the game on 79 minutes.

4-1 Two minutes later on the 81st minute Anthony Dudley got his second goal of the game with a low shot straight past the ‘keeper from just inside the box.

5-1 On the 87th minute Khalid Mohammed’s shot 25 yards out slipped through the hands of the Oldham ‘keeper and into the back of the net.


Whatever happens in the league, everyone at the club is proud of what the team have achieved throughout the season, as the future of the club looks very bright with a set of youngsters that play good attacking football.

Watch highlights of the match below:

Advertisement block