Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers keep on rolling

11 April 2015

Lowe and Nardiello bring home the points for Bury

Bury kept the pressure on the top three teams in SkyBet League Two with a 2-0 win away at Newport County to equal a club record of consecutive away wins.

Goals from Ryan Lowe and Danny Nardiello secured the three points for the Shakers, who also kept their fifth consecutive away clean sheet at Rodney Parade.

David Flitcroft made one change from the side that played against Morecambe against Easter Monday with Ryan Lowe coming in for Danny Nardiello. Danny Rose was included on the bench and was his first time in a match day squad since 28thFebruary due to a calf injury.

Newport started the game on the attack and created a half chance in the opening five minutes. Ryan Jackson burst down the right hand side and crossed for Aaron O’Connor, who headed straight at Nick Pope from ten yards out.

The Shakers slowly started to get a foothold on the game as the first half progressed and created a chance of their own in the 18thminute. Craig Jones attacked the byline on the right and floated a cross to the back post which was met by Tom Soares, but his header was deflected into the hands of Newport goalkeeper Joe Day.

Bury continued to apply the pressure and were ahead three minutes later as Chris Hussey cut in on his right foot and unleashed a shot from the edge of the area. The ball was heading straight towards Day until Ryan Lowe got the slightest touch on the shot to send it into the back of the net to give Bury the lead.

The home side attempted to find a way back into the game immediately but couldn’t find a way past the Bury backline. Aaron O’Connor came closest as he got a shot away from long range that flashed past Nick Pope’s post.

Once again, David Flitcroft’s men were on the front foot in search of a second goal and came close twice before the half time whistle. First, Craig Jones fired wide of goal after a flowing move which started in Bury’s own half before Tom Eaves put his shot the wrong side of the post after showing great control to bring a cross field ball down on his chest.

It was all Bury at the start of the second half as well as Joe Day showed great athleticism to tip over Andrew Tutte’s shot. Regan Poole half cleared a cross and it fell kindly for the former Rochdale midfielder, who hit a first time shot but was denied by the fingertips of the Newport stopper. From the resulting corner, Tutte had another chance from the edge of the area but was once again denied by Day as he palmed his shot away from danger.

The 24 year old was having a good game for the Shakers and had his third chance in as many minutes from a free kick. Kelvin Etuhu was barged off the ball just outside the area and Tutte stepped up to take the free kick, only to see his effort go just over the Newport crossbar. 

Newport rarely troubled Nick Pope all afternoon but the Charlton loanee had a scare in the 67th minute. Miles Storey sent a low cross into the near post that was deflected by Adam El-Abd onto the post and, luckily, away from danger.

David Flitcroft introduced Danny Rose into the game with ten minutes left, bringing off Tom Soares, and the 21 year old was involved in the action straight away. Bury intercepted the ball in their own half and set off on a counter attack with Andrew Tutte releasing Danny Rose clear on goal, only for him to be ruled offside despite being in his own half - a decision with annoyed the Bury bench.

However it wasn’t long until the Shakers added their second goal of the game as Danny Nardiello doubled the lead in the 87th minute. The former Barnsley striker broke the offside trap and calmly slotted the ball between Joe Day’s legs to give Bury a two goal advantage.

The full time whistle sounded shortly after and confirmed Bury’s sixth consecutive away win, equalling a record set in 1960 and 2010, ahead of Tuesday’s top-of-the-table clash against Shrewsbury Town at the JD Stadium.

Advertisement block