Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 2 - 1 Wigan Athletic

11 August 2015

Bury come from behind as a Leon Clarke brace sends Flitcroft’s side through to the next round of the Capital One Cup.

Bury had a tasty local derby as their first cup game of the season. For The Shakers it was the first time they had visited the DW Stadium since December 2001 and the game didn’t disappoint in terms of attacking football, after a slow opening half.


David Flitcroft’s men were looking to continue their impressive run of form so far this season by going through to the next round. Unfortunately, before this game Bury has exited the Capital One Cup First Round in three of the last four seasons.


However, a strong line-up was named from the away side as Tutte and Hope came into the starting 11 for Pope and Pugh. Whilst Gary Caldwell’s new marquee signing Jussi Jaaskelainen wasn’t named in his squad.


Bury started the game well in their all grey exclusive third kit; the first real chance of the game came on the 8th minute when Wigan worked the ball well to the left, however Michael Jacobs’ shot was blocked at the vital second by Joe Riley in the box.


Wigan continued to pick up loose passes from The Shakers midfield, but Bury’s first real chance came after 13-minutes when Tom Soares hit a tame curling left foot shot from outside of the box.


Continuous chanting by the large Shaker following didn’t go unnoticed as the next opportunity came on 22-minutes when a spell of pressure from Bury resulted in a corner. Hussey’s delivery from the right found Cameron who glanced his header just wide at the back post.


Wigan’s number 17, Jacobs then picked the ball up on the left 3-minutes later, unchallenged he charged towards the centre of Bury’s box, unleashing his shot that flew well wide.


Twenty-minutes before the break Latics’ Will Grigg tried to chip the ball into the net from the edge of the box on the left wing. Luckily for The Shakers it didn’t have the direction or power to beat the advancing Walton.


Leon Clarke played the lone striker role well as he kept the pressure on the Wigan defence, giving them no time on the ball as Hope, Tutte and Soares joined in, pressing from the wings and centre.


The best chance of the half was just after the hour mark. Wigan’s Jordan Flores kept the ball at his feet, wriggling past challenge after challenge. As he rounded Walton, the hard bit was done until his shot was blocked as it started to go off target. The pressure continued as Jacobs curled an effort too high of Bury’s top-left corner.


The lads were wearing black armbands in respect of Neville’s passing as the game came to a short stoppage for an injury, a vital opportunity for a drinks break 10-minutes before the interval.


As both teams stepped it up a gear the game became an exciting contest as attack changed to defence and vice-versa. Leon Clarke had the ball in the back of the net on 40-minutes, only for it to be ruled offside as his low effort flew under O’Donnell’s body.




Flitcroft made an immediate change as Danny Mayor came off for Tom Pope, then as soon as the whistle went Wigan attacked, winning a penalty in the process from a mistimed tackle by Peter Clarke. Will Grigg stepped up and guided his effort confidently down the middle to put the home side in the lead.


The way Wigan started the second-half was a shock to the system to everyone, but livened up the contest. Another change was made by the Bury management on 53-minutes as Hallam Hope was replaced by Jacob Mellis.


Just after the hour mark Leon Clarke headed home the equaliser from a pinpoint Hussey cross on the left. His looping header in the box flew into the top right corner as he celebrated in front of the Bury faithful after doing brilliantly to muscle off a challenge.


Once again the superb Shakers fans chanted Neville Neville’s name on the 65th minute. As Bury counter-attacked Pope was fed the ball in space on the right. His shot was low and hard, but was comfortably held.


Caldwell made his first change 20-minutes before time as he introduced Ryan Jennings for his debut. Soon after Bury continued to attack as they smelt blood and looked to take the lead, Tutte just firing wide after a moment of pinball in the box.


A Hussey free-kick from the near the half-way line was nodded in the box to L. Clarke who touched it down for Mellis, his lightening shot cannoning off a Wigan defender for corner on 75-minutes.


The hosts made another change just before the 80th minute mark when Craig Davies came on as a direct replacement in attack for the goal scorer, Will Grigg.


Bury’s final change came shortly after as Danny Pugh was brought on for Kelvin Etuhu. Straight after Wigan’s Davies received the first booking of the game for a very late challenge on Chris Hussey.


As the game came to a close, Tom Pope was dragged and fouled in the box. Leon Clarke took charge of the penalty and placed his effort to his right to put The Shakers in the lead as the away end of the DW erupted a minute before the end. Clarke was then booked for timewasting.


Four minutes of additional time were indicated as Caldwell brought on his last sub to try and salvage an equaliser. Bury kept composed to record a terrific victory and go through to the next round after Wigan had a last minute corner, where their keeper came up to contend, Walton holding onto the delivery convincingly.




Another superb game for the fans to enjoy and savour as they await the draw for the next round – the icing on the cake being the Shakers remain unbeaten.


Next up for The Shakers is a Lancashire Senior Cup final tie against Rochdale tomorrow night (7pm KO) at the Lancashire FA’s County Ground. After that it’s the first home game of the season on Saturday when Swindon visit Gigg Lane (3pm KO).


The draw for the Second Round of the Capital One Cup will take place following Doncaster Rovers’ game against Leeds United on Thursday, the tie to be played on the week commencing 24th August.


STARTING LINEUP: 1. C. Walton (GK), 2. J. Riley, 3. C. Hussey, 4. A. Tutte, 5. P. Clarke, 6. K. Etuhu (OFF 81’), 7. H. Hope (OFF 53’), 9. L. Clarke, 10. D. Mayor (OFF 46’), 19. T. Soares, 27. N. Cameron (C).


BENCH: 26. R. Lainton (GK), 8. J. Mellis (ON 53’), 11. T. Pope (ON 46’), 12. C. Sedgwick, 22. D. Pugh (ON 81’), 32. D. Rose, 40. R. Brown.


BURY BOOKINGS: Leon Clarke (89’).


REFEREE: M. Heywood.


ATTENDANCE: 5,484 (1,407 Shakers fans).


Report by Michael Brown

Advertisement block