Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rose on Valentines Day

14 February 2015

Roses are Red, Violets are blue. Cheltenham 1 Bury 2!

Bury made it three games unbeaten in SkyBet League Two with a 2-1 win away at Cheltenham Town on Saturday afternoon.

First half goals from Danny Mayor and Danny Rose secured the three points for the Shakers, who are now seven points off third place Wycombe. 

David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Stevenage on Tuesday night with Nicky Adams and Danny Nardiello coming in for Tom Soares and Craig Jones whilst youth team midfielder Scott Burgess was included in the bench.

Bury started the better of the two sides and were ahead inside four minutes through Danny Mayor. Andrew Tutte released the former Preston winger into twenty yards of space and he charged at the Cheltenham defence before burying it in the bottom corner past the dive of former Shakers stopper Trevor Carson. 

The away side were dominant in the opening twenty minutes and had opportunities to double their lead but Danny Rose fired into the side netting and Nicky Adams headed narrowly wide in a frantic opening period of the game. 

However it wasn't long until the Shakers made it 2-0 as the constant waves of attack were rewarded in the 17th minute. Danny Nardiello brought down a lofted through ball with an exquisite first touch before playing in Andrew Tutte with a reverse pass. The former Manchester City youngster aimed his cross for the near post and Rose bundled in from close range to double Bury's lead. 

Cheltenham reduced the deficit seven minutes later as Birmingham loanee Denny Johnstone capitalised on a defensive mix up to pull a goal back. Wes Burns nipped in to nick the ball off the Bury defence and squared for Johnstone, who fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the area for 2-1.

The game then calmed down after a frantic twenty five minutes with both teams protecting their back line well to prevent chances being created and the half ended with the Shakers having a one goal advantage. 

The second half was a different story to the first with neither team creating many noteworthy chances. Cheltenham's Wes Burns came close to an equaliser early on but put his shot wide of Nick Pope's post. 

Charlton loanee Pope was rarely tested all game and the majority of his action was to claim the long ball or take goal kicks in the second half.

At the other end, Bury came close to testing Trevor Carson a few times but didn't create any major chances. Hallam Hope was introduced into the game late on in place of Danny Mayor and he nearly added a third goal with a few minutes to play. The former Everton striker showed great composure and ability to take the ball past two defenders in the Cheltenham area before being crowded out by a third defender and the danger was cleared. 

Four minutes of added time were signaled at the end of the second half and Bury were able to see it out to remain in 8th position, only outside of the play-offs on goal difference and within seven points of third placed Wycombe. 

Advertisement block