Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers dominant, but held at home

7 February 2015

Exeter City hold on for a point despite a dominant performance

Bury remain in 7th place in SkyBet League Two after drawing 1-1 with Exeter City at the JD Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The away side rarely tested Nick Pope all afternoon but took the lead in the 13th minute through Arron Davies before former Exeter striker Danny Nardiello levelled for the Shakers to share the points.

David Flitcroft made one change from the side that lost to Burton last weekend with Nicky Adams coming in for Hallam Hope whilst Rob Lainton and Joe Thompson returned to the bench after overcoming their injuries.

The Shakers started the game on the front foot and created three chances in the opening ten minutes. Danny Nardiello fired narrowly over in the first minute before Chris Hussey and Nicky Adams went close a few minutes later. 

Exeter took the lead in the 13th minute against the run of play. Alex Nicholls rattled the crossbar with a free kick from 25 yards out and Arron Davies followed up with the rebound to give the away side the lead. 

Bury reacted well to going behind and went straight on the attack from kick off. Nicky Adams was denied by Christy Pym down low to his right hand side before Chris Hussey rattled the bar with a free kick of his own on the angle. 

Pym was involved in the action again in the 40th minute to deny Nardiello and Adams in quick succession but was unable to prevent the former four minutes later.

Winger Craig Jones burst down the right hand side and put a pin perfect cross into the box. Former Exeter striker Nardiello was waiting at the back post and guided the ball past Pym for the equaliser. 

The second half was much like the first half and Bury started on the front foot. Tom Soares fired narrowly wide from range before Danny Nardiello came close to adding his second of the game. 

Andrew Tutte set his aim from long range and unleashed a shot that bobbled before Christy Pym, who spilled the shot straight into the path of Nardiello. He took the shot with his first touch and fired just wide of the post under heavy pressure from the Exeter goalkeeper. 

The Shakers continued the pressure and created further chances shortly after. Andrew Tutte curled a shot onto the top of the net in the 52nd minute before Danny Mayor opted to pass rather than shoot in the area two minutes later. 

Danny Rose was introduced into the game in place of Craig Jones in the 55th minute and was involved in the action almost instantly. Adam El-Abd dispossessed Danny Butterfield on the edge of the area and squared to Rose, who shot first time but his effort was straight at Christy Pym. 

Exeter introduced Graham Cummins late on in the game and he had an immediate impact. The former Preston striker had Exeter's first shot on target of the second half when he tested Nick Pope from the edge of the area but the Charlton loanee was straight behind it. 

The away side pushed for a winner late on but were denied by a last ditch tackle from Jim McNulty before Joe Riley and Andrew Tutte recovered well to deny David Wheeler on the counter attack.

Referee Nigel Miller brought an end to the game shortly after and it finished in a stalemate with Bury remaining in 7th place in SkyBet League Two ahead of Tuesday's clash away at Stevenage.

Advertisement block