Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers grind out three points

21 February 2015

Andy Tutte secures three points from Hartlepool United

Bury secured their tenth home league win of the season with a 1-0 win against Hartlepool United at the JD Stadium on Saturday afternoon.


Andrew Tutte’s second half goal won the game for the Shakers to move them up to 7th in SkyBet League Two, only behind 6th place Plymouth Argyle on goal difference ahead of next week’s clash between the two sides.


David Flitcroft made one change to the side that beat Cheltenham 2-1 last weekend with the returning Adam El-Abd replacing Jimmy McNulty in the back line. McNulty returned to the bench and he was joined by youth team striker Anthony Dudley.


Hartlepool had a chance to take the lead in the 3rd minute when Danny Mayor was dispossessed in midfield. The ball made its way into the box and Marvin Morgan got a shot away from close but was denied by a great save from Nick Pope before claiming the ball at the second attempt.


The opening to the game had a high tempo about it and Bury created their first chance two minutes after Pope’s save. Chris Hussey floated a free kick to the back post and Nathan Cameron rose above his man to get a header on target but was denied by the strong left hand from Scott Flinders and the danger was cleared.


Flinders was called into action again in the 16th minute after a strong run from Danny Mayor. The former Sheffield Wednesday winger burst into the box from the left hand side and attacked the byline before seeing his attempted pull back palmed away by Flinders. The Hartlepool goalkeeper then had to deny Danny Nardiello from close range as he pushed his effort out for a corner, which came to nothing.


The best chance of the first half fell to the Shakers after Nicky Adams was played in by Andrew Tutte. Adams took a couple of touches to set himself before seeing his right footed effort denied by a fantastic block from Flinders before the away side’s stopper cleared the ball away with his second save.


As the first half came to an end, Danny Nardiello tried his luck from long range but his shot was straight at Flinders, who claimed it at the second attempt to ensure the two sides went into the interval at 0-0.


Hartlepool’s Neil Austin picked up the first yellow card of the game in the 48th minute after pulling back Nicky Adams to give the Shakers a free kick in a dangerous position. Chris Hussey whipped the ball to the near post and Nardiello got the slightest of touches to it but, once again, saw his effort claimed at the second attempt by Flinders.


Bury continued to pile the pressure on and thought they should have been awarded a penalty five minutes later when Danny Rose went down under a challenge from former loanee Scott Harrison but referee Chris Sarginson waved away the appeals and booked Danny Rose.


Andrew Tutte was next in line to test Scott Flinders in the 63rd minute when he received the ball on the edge of the area from Craig Jones. He took one touch to set himself before aiming a shot for the top corner that was palmed away by the Hartlepool goalkeeper.


Hallam Hope replaced Danny Rose midway through the second half and was nearly on the end of the Danny Mayor cross that brought about the only goal of the game in the 75th minute.


Mayor picked up the ball in the Hartlepool half and drove towards the heart of the defence, taking on three or four players before squaring into the six yard area. It looked like Hallam Hope would convert from close range but the ball was tipped behind him by the fingertips of Flinders before Andrew Tutte arrived late to poke the ball home from close range to make it 1-0 to the home side.


Former Shakers loanee Scott Harrison found himself in the book two minutes after the Shakers goal to leave Hussey in another good position to create a chance from a set piece. The former Burton full back decided to go for goal himself and nearly squeezed an effort in at the near post as Flinders fumbled the shot before the danger was cleared.


Hartlepool made a triple sub with ten minutes to play including Marlon Harewood but he didn’t have enough time to make an impact as the Shakers saw out the game to secure their 10th home league win of the season to move level on points with 6th place Plymouth, who Bury travel to next Saturday.

Advertisement block