Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ton Up for Nards

28 February 2015

Danny's Nardiello & Rose secure three points for the Shakers

Bury secured their first win at Home Park since 3rd December 1977 with a 2-0 win against Plymouth Argyle on Saturday afternoon.


Danny Nardiello's 100th career league goal and a late Danny Rose effort sealed the three points for the Shakers, who move up to 6th in SkyBet League Two.


David Flitcroft made one change to the side that beat Hartlepool United last weekend with Tom Soares returning from injury to take Danny Rose’s place in the starting eleven. The former Barnsley striker dropped down to the bench and was joined by Ryan Lowe, who returned to the match day squad for the first time since January 17th.


The first fifteen minutes was a very even affair with both teams creating chances to open the scoring. Danny Nardiello fired just over the bar from close range for Bury before Plymouth's Drew Talbot found himself in acres of space but shot straight at Nick Pope.


Nicky Adams was next in line to attempt to open the scoring for Bury in the 31st minute when he cut in on his left and fired narrowly wide of Luke McCormick's post.


The midfielder then had another chance a minute later when he intercepted Peter Hartley's pass but was denied by a good save by McCormick.


At the other end Nick Pope was in action towards the end of the first half. A training ground free kick saw Bobby Reid fire a low shot towards goal from range that was easily smothered by the Charlton loanee down low to his right.


The Shakers had the final chance of the half in the 38th minute from a Chris Hussey set piece. The former Burton full back whipped a corner to the near post and it was met by the head of Adam El-Abd, whose header missed the target by a matter of yards.


The home side thought they had put themselves ahead eight minutes into the second half but celebrations were soon muted. A short free kick was blocked and the ball was lofted back into the area for Lewis Alessandra to slam home but he was ruled offside and the goal was disallowed.


The Pilgrim's were more of an attacking threat at the start of the second half and came close again in the 59th minute. Bobby Reid floated a corner into the six yard area which was met by Curtis Nelson, who saw his header crash against the bar and then the danger was cleared.


The following minute Bury went up the other end of the pitch and created a chance for themselves. Nick Pope's long goal kick evaded the Plymouth defence and Nicky Adams latched onto the end of it. He spotted the run of Danny Nardiello and slid it towards him. The former Rotherham striker stretched for the ball and was only milimetres away getting contact on it and scoring.


The away side's pressure continued and it was rewarded in the 62nd minute. Adams found himself free on the right hand side and spotted the run of Nardiello again. He put in a perfectly weighted cross and Nardiello headed past a stranded Luke McCormick for his 100th career league goal, 25 of them coming in Bury colours.


Following the goal it was all Bury again as the home side couldn't find a way to stop the onslaught of attacks. Plymouth goalkeeper Luke McCormick was nearly caught out by Chris Hussey's deep free kick but was able to claw it around the post for a corner, which came to nothing.


Danny Rose was introduced into the game when he replaced Danny Nardiello and it was the substitute who sealed the three points late on. Rose broke the offside trap to latch onto Joe Riley's lofted through ball before firing through the legs of McCormick to send the 221 travelling Shakers wild.


The home side thought they had reduced the deficit late into injury time but Alessandra was once again ruled offside and the goal was disallowed.


The three points move Bury above Plymouth in SkyBet League Two and only three points off 4th place Luton Town, who travel to the JD Stadium on Tuesday evening. 

Advertisement block