Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Report: Bury U18s 3 - 2 Wrexham U18s

9 February 2015

Bury U18s made it seven games without a defeat in the league against a tough-tackling Wrexham side on Saturday.

Bury’s under-18s kept their great run of form going with a hard fought 3-2 win against Wrexham. Anthony Dudley, Raquarn Crosdale and Matthew Foulds all got on the score sheet, in a game where the youngsters were ahead for most of the match.

Anthony Dudley got the game underway with a goal within the first minute after the Shakers made a quick counterattack, with Crosdale and Dudley making a one-two to get the latter into a scoring position, and the Wrexham goalkeeper couldn’t do anything about the shot which flew into the back of the net.

Bury carried on their dominance before Wrexham started getting into the game with a succession of corners and free-kicks which the Bury defence did well to clear every time.

However, Wrexham got the equaliser on the 16th minute after a Crosdale foul gave away a free-kick, which was initially cleared, but only to a Wrexham player in space who managed to squeeze the ball past Jack Ruddy in the Bury net.

Bury got back ahead on the 27th minute after a Ben Potter corner was calmly fired into the back of the net by an unmarked Foulds.

Another spell of dominance for Bury pursued, with a number of good chances falling for the lads. The most noteworthy being a Sam Gibson shot which hit the post, after it fell to him from an initial half cleared Robert Bourne corner.

The Shakers went into the break 2-1 ahead and being the far better team.

After what was an even start to the second half, Bury made it 3-1 on the 63rd minute after Bourne put in another great corner which this time fell perfectly for Crosdale to head home.

Wrexham started showing frustration at being two goals behind by putting in a number of strong tackles. A casualty of this was right-back Rowan Kimmins who was tackled while going in to get the ball, and stayed down for a long time receiving treatment before being carried off.

George Miller, who has been on the side-lines since breaking his ankle before the cup game against Manchester United, came on for the injured Kimmins.

Wrexham got a goal back making it 3-2 on the 71st minute when the Red Dragons winger did well to square the ball to their team-mate who powered the ball into the back of the net.

Ruddy showed why he has started being placed on the first team bench with a great save in a one-on-one situation on the edge of the box, to stop what looked like a certain goal.

Another casualty of Wrexham’s tough style of play came in stoppage time. Jake Durham, who was playing at right-back after Kimmins’ injury, was going in for the ball as well as a Wrexham player, but the latter hit Durham’s leg in an awkward position instead of the ball.

Durham was carried off and the game commenced again for a few more minutes before the whistle blew for a deserved three points for the Shakers.

Director of Youth, Ian Kendall, said after the match: "The youngsters showed a tremendous amount of determination and resolve to keep their cool when the game was played with such hostility. The win was well deserved."

Advertisement block