Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cameron seals Accy win

28 January 2015

A late Nathan Cameron header claims three points at Accrington Stanley

Bury made it back to back wins in SkyBet League Two with a 1-0 win away to Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night.


Nathan Cameron's header ten minutes from full time secured the win to keep the Shakers in 7th place and just seven points from the automatic places.


David Flitcroft named an unchanged team from the weekend's win against Carlisle but there was a change on the bench with new signing Joe Riley coming in for Anthony Dudley.


The first half had very few clear cut chances with the majority of the game being played in the middle of the pitch. Bury created the first chance of the match when Danny Mayor headed down Tom Soares' deep cross but Hallam Hope was unable to get a clean strike on the ball.


Accrington rarely troubled the Bury defence in the first half and Nick Pope wasn't forced into a save in the first forty-five minutes. The closest the home side came to getting a shot on target was when former Bury midfielder Andrew Procter saw his shot deflected wide of goal.


The best chance of the first half fell to the away side in the 29th minute. Andrew Tutte whipped a corner in towards the six yard area and it was met by the head of the unmarked Nathan Cameron but he was unable to keep his effort down and it sent out for a goal kick.


The Shakers continued the pressure and nearly opened the scoring ten minutes later following a flowing move that started in their own half. Danny Nardiello broke the offside trap and pulled the ball back for Andrew Tutte, whose first time effort was sent over Matt Macey's cross bar.


David Flitcroft made one change at half time with Joe Riley coming on to make his debut in place of a Kelvin Etuhu. The change in personnel brought about a change in the system as well with Tom Soares moving into centre midfield and Riley slotting in at right back.


Accrington attacked from the off after the restart and created two early charges from Piero Mingoia. First, he intercepted Tom Soares' pass before firing just wide of goal before Nick Pope got down well to save from the Accrington winger with 51 minutes played.


The game was turning into an end-to-end battle with both teams flooding players forward in an attempt to score the opening goal. Charlton loanee Pope was in action again in the 57th minute to prevent Shay McCartan before a dangerous cross from Craig Jones was cleared before a Bury player could convert in into the back of the net.


David Flitcroft made another change in the 58th minute with Nicky Adams coming on for Hallam Hope and it was the substitute who had the next Shakers chance. Jones pulled the ball back to him after latching onto Nathan Cameron's long pass and the former Rotherham winger curled an effort towards goals, only to be denied by the head of Seamus Conneely on the goal line.


Adams was quickly becoming an increasing problem for the Accrington defence and he was inches away from the opening the scoring in the 66th minute after Chris Hussey drilled a cross across the six yard area.


The deadlock was finally broken with ten minutes to play as Bury captain Nathan Cameron headed in at the back post. A free kick from Chris Hussey was cleared but the former Burton defender was able to regain possession before floating an inch perfect cross to the back post for Cameron to head in to send the 902 travelling Bury fans into jubilant celebrations.


Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and former Bury trialist Josh Windass missed a late chance for Accrington before the away side came close to adding a second through an unlikely source. Nick Pope launched a kick from his hands into the Accrington area and it took one bounce before Stanley goalkeeper Macey had to tip it over.


The full time whistle sounded shortly after it to confirm the second consecutive win in the league for Bury to leave them only three points off fourth place in SkyBet League Two.

Advertisement block