Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Defeat at Dagenham

4 January 2015

Shakers dominate but are defeated at Dagenham

Bury started 2015 with a 1-0 defeat away to Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday afternoon at the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium.
The only goal of the game came in the 51st minute as Rhys Murphy pounced from a deflected Billy Bingham shot to earn the home side the three points.
Bury manager David Flitcroft named an unchanged side from the win against Mansfield, the first since late October, and the Shakers started the better of the two teams in poor conditions in East London.
The game started with a slow tempo but Bury were soon on the attack and came close to opening the scoring twice in six minutes. Hallam Hope turned his man in the 12th minute and saw his goalbound shot tipped around the post by Mark Cousins before the Dagenham goalkeeper made a fantastic save to tip a ferocious Nicky Adams’ volley over the bar, although the referee didn’t see the touch and awarded a goal kick.
Dagenham rarely tested Rob Lainton in the first half but he was forced into action in the 39th minute. Jamie Cureton’s cross was deflected to the near post and Rhys Murphy beat his man to the ball but was denied by the legs of Rob Lainton.
The final chance of the first half fell to the Shakers when Nicky Adams crossed to the back post and it looked like it would land to Hallam Hope six yards from goal but the slightest of touches from defender Ayo Obileye ensured the ball missed the former Everton striker and went out for a corner, which came to nothing.
The home side took the lead six minutes after the restart through former Arsenal youngster Rhys Murphy. Billy Bingham’s long range shot took a huge deflection and landed at the feet of Murphy, who applied the finish from eight yards out to give Dagenham the advantage.
David Flitcroft introduced Danny Rose to the game in the 57th minute for Hallam Hope and the former Barnsley striker took a heavy knock to his knee shortly after coming on but was able to carry on.
The Shakers continued the pressure on the Dagenham defence as they searched for an equaliser and came close twice in as many minutes following the sub. First, Nicky Adams got to the byline and crossed for Ryan Lowe but his effort cannoned off the post with Mark Cousins beaten before Andrew Tutte had a shot saved by Cousins from close range at the near post.
As the game progressed it became more open and the home side had two half chances around the 70th minute mark but Jamie Cureton couldn’t get his shot past Nathan Cameron before the former Coventry defender did well to block a Rhys Murphy effort when he was through on goal.
With nine minutes left the game lit up as Bury were denied a stonewall penalty by referee Iain Williamson. Danny Rose burst into box from the left and took the ball to the byline before being taken out by Dagenham defender Ayo Obileye. Mr Williamson blew his whistle and many in the ground thought a penalty had been awarded but instead he gave a free kick and booked the former Barnsley striker.
Five minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and Bury created a chance as the fourth official’s board went up. Substitute Anthony Dudley cut the ball back to Andrew Tutte and it looked like his shot was going to nestle in the bottom corner but Dagenham captain Scott Doe flung himself in front of it and the danger was cleared. At the other end, Rob Lainton pulled off a good save from Jamie Cureton with Dagenham on the counter attack as they looked to kill the game off.
Bury continued to press for an equaliser and thought they had it in the fourth minute of added time but were denied twice in a minute by goal line clearances. The ball fell kindly to Craig Jones at the back post and he attempted to divert the ball into the back of the net but was denied by Andre Boucard on the line before the same player blocked the rebound from the former TNS man.
The final whistle sounded shortly after the chances and brought an end to Bury’s short winning streak, despite Bury being dominant for most of the game. The Shakers don’t have to wait long to attempt to move closer to the play-offs as they take on Accrington Stanley away on Friday night ina 7.45pm kick off.

Advertisement block