Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Nardiello brace brings three points

24 January 2015

Two goals from Danny Nardiello put Shakers into a play off spot

Danny Nardiello's brace was enough to secure a 2-1 win against Carlisle United and move Bury back into the play-offs in SkyBet League Two.

Nardiello struck either side of Steven Rigg's first half strike to ensure the three points and he could have hit his first career hat trick late on but saw his penalty saved by Mark Gillespie.

David Flitcroft one change to the team that drew 1-1 with Wycombe last weekend with Danny Nardiello replacing the injured Ryan Lowe whilst youth team players Jack Ruddy and Anthony Dudley were named on the bench.

The Shakers started on the front foot and created a chance inside seven minutes after Hallam Hope latched onto a long clearance but his effort was well saved by Mark Gillespie down low to his right.

The home side's pressure continued and they thought they had taken the lead in the 12th minute when Danny Nardiello headed in from Chris Hussey's corner but referee Carl Boyeson ruled it out after spotting an infringement.

It wasn't long until Bury took the lead after they were awarded a penalty when Matthew Young brought down Danny Mayor in the area. Nardiello took on the penalty duties and sent Gillespie the wrong way to put Bury into the lead.

Carlisle found a way back into the game in the 23rd minute when Steven Rigg tapped in from close range against the run of play. Courtney Meppen-Walter stung the palms of Nick Pope from 30 yards and the rebound fell to the feet of Rigg, who applied the finish to make it 1-1.

Following the equaliser, Bury continued to test the Carlisle defence but couldn't find a way to extend their lead before the half time break, despite their best efforts. Andrew Tutte fired just over the bar before Hallam Hope saw a shot headed off the line by Carlisle full back Danny Grainger.

Unlike the first half, the second half started with a slow tempo with both sides being involved in a midfield battle. Neither team created a noteworthy chance in the first fifteen minutes until a mistake from Troy Archibald-Henville allowed Bury to extend their lead.

The Carlisle centre back read a through ball wrong which allowed Danny Nardiello to nip in and latch onto it before chipping the ball over the onrushing Mark Gillespie for his and Bury's second goal of the game.

After the Shakers had restored their lead it was all Bury again with Danny Mayor continually causing problems for the Carlisle defence. 

Bury had a chance to extend their lead to two goals in the 76th minute when they were awarded a penalty after Anthony Sweeney was penalised for handball in the area. Nardiello stepped up as he looked for his third goal of the afternoon but saw his low effort saved by Gillespie and the danger was cleared.

The former Rotherham striker left the field a minute later to a standing ovation with Danny Rose replacing him and it was the 21 year old who had Bury's next chance.

Danny Mayor weaved his way into the box and attempted to pick out a Bury shirt but Gillespie was able to Palm his cross away. The ball fell into the path of the arriving Rose but he was unable to get his effort on target and it went out for a goal kick.

As the clock ticked into the final ten minutes of the game, Nick Pope pulled off a fantastic lead to ensure that the Shakers lead was kept in tact. Steven Rigg got a shot away from the left hand side of the area and Pope spread himself well to tip the effort over the bar.

Former Bury loanee David Amoo then wasted a good chance to equalise when he headed wide from six yards out before Danny Rose was denied by a fantastic save from Carlisle goalkeeper Gillespie with five minutes left.

Five minutes added time was indicated at the end of the second half and Bury were able to see it out to claim their first three points of 2015 to move them back into the play-offs ahead of Tuesday's game at Accrington Stanley.

Advertisement block