Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers slip at the Pirelli

31 January 2015

Burton's first ever victory over the Shakers

Bury suffered their second defeat of 2015 on Saturday afternoon after losing 1-0 to Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium.


Phil Edwards scored the only goal of the game midway through the second half to secure the points for the Brewers to leave the Shakers in 7th place.


David Flitcroft made one change from Tuesday's win away at Accrington Stanley with Joe Riley replacing Craig Jones. Riley slotted in at right back on his first start for the club with Tom Soares moving further up the pitch to right midfield.


Burton attacked from the kick off and created a chance within the opening two minutes. Stuart Beavon headed down to Jacob Blyth from Phil Edwards' long ball forward and the Leicester loanee let fly from 20 yards out but his effort flew into the side netting.


The Shakers were playing against the wind in the first half but still managed to create a couple of chances with the first coming in the 14th minute. Danny Nardiello pulled the ball back for Tom Soares, who brought it under control before forcing Jon McLaughlin into a save.


Nick Pope was forced into action thirteen minutes later to prevent Lucas Akins from opening the scoring. Akins broke into the box on the right hand side and aimed for the top corner but Pope beat his effort away with a strong right hand.


Hallam Hope came close for Bury shortly after, dragging his shot narrowly wide before Burton captain John Mousinho headed wide to send both teams into the break on level terms.


The start of the second half saw a flurry of chances come about. Pope pulled off an impressive one handed save to parry away a deflected Adam McGurk and that was followed up by another impressive save, this time from McLaughlin, to deny Tom Soares from the edge of the area.


Burton took the lead in the 62nd minute after Phil Edwards tapped in from close range from Adam McGurk's free kick. McGurk was fouled near the corner flag by Joe Riley and he swung the free kick to the near post for Stuart Beavon to flick on. The ball flew across the face of goal for Edwards to convert from close range to give the home side the lead.


David Flitcroft made all three of his substitutions within eight minutes of each other as Bury looked for the equaliser but it was Burton who has the next chance of the game. Jacob Blyth held the ball up on the edge of the area before squaring to Beavon but his effort was high over the goal.


The final chance of the game fell to the Shakers with four minutes left and they nearly got their equaliser but were denied by McLaughlin. Chris Hussey swung a free kick into the penalty area and Danny Nardiello flicked on but saw his glancing header acrobatically tipped over for a corner, which came to nothing.


Nathan Cameron spent the final few minutes of the game up front but the away side were unable to find a way past the Burton defence and suffered their second defeat of 2015 to leave them in 7th place in SkyBet League Two.

Advertisement block