Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers take a point

17 January 2015

Wycombe snatch a point in horrendous conditions

Bury drew 1-1 with top-of-the-table Wycombe at the JD Stadium on Saturday afternoon in treacherous conditions.


Danny Mayor had opened the scoring in the 30th minute before Fred Onyedinma equalised midway through the second half to ensure both teams shared the points.


David Flitcroft made two changes from the defeat at Dagenham and Redbridge with Nick Pope coming in for Rob Lainton for his debut and Craig Jones replacing Nicky Adams at right midfield.


Bury started on the front foot and created a chance in the 3rd minute but saw the effort cleared off the line. Chris Hussey's corner fell to Ryan Lowe at the back post, who hit a first time effort towards goal that was cleared off the line by Sido Jombarti.


The home side's pressure continued and they could have been awarded a penalty five minutes later. Lowe crossed to the near post and Hallam Hope latched onto it but was denied by a tackle from behind from Aaron Pierre with referee David Webb waving away appeals, believing that the Wycombe defender had won the ball.


The deadlock was broken in the 30th minute when Danny Mayor bundled home from close range. Ryan Lowe's goal bound effort was stopped on the line by Alfie Mawson but the ball got stuck under his feet which allowed Mayor to nip in and divert into the back of the net from a yard out.


During the build up to the goal, Ryan Lowe suffered an injury which meant he had to be substituted and he was replaced by Danny Rose.


As the half ticked towards an end Wycombe started to push further forward for an equaliser and came two minutes before the interval. Aaron Pierre peeled off to the back post at a corner and received the ball out wide before putting his curled shot just past Nick Pope's post.


The away side continued their pressure after the break but couldn't find a way past debutant Nick Pope. Aaron Amdi-Holloway beat his marker in the air but was denied by a good save from the Charlton loanee, who got down low to his left to keep it out.


With 61 minutes played, Marcus Bean broke free of the Bury defence and it looked like he would be able to get a shot away until Andrew Tutte denied him with a fantastic challenge just as he was about to pull the trigger.


However seven minutes later Wycombe were level, despite appeals for a Bury free kick in the build up. Sam Wood crossed into the box from the left hand side and it was brought down on the edge of the area by Fred Onyedinma, with many of the surrounding Bury players appealing for handball. The referee waved away the appeals as Onyedinma smashed the ball into the roof of the net to equalise.


The impressive Pope was being called into more action as the second half progressed with Wycombe unable to find a way past him to add a second goal. First, Pope smothered the ball at the feet of Onyedinma before Aaron Pierre saw his effort well saved by the Charlton loanee.


Three minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the game but neither side could nick a late winner. Danny Rose came closest for the Shakers but his acrobatic volley was a couple of metres too high and the points were shared.  

Advertisement block