Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalemate at Adams Park

17 January 2015

Bury remain unbeaten in away from home in the league this season after drawing 0-0 with Wycombe at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon. 


Andrew Tutte came closest to grabbing a goal for the Shakers when his effort crashed against the bar in the 2nd minute. The same crossbar came to Bury’s aid in added time at the end of the second half after Wycombe hit it twice through Peter Murphy and Matt McClure.


David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that beat Accrington Stanley with Chris Hussey and Craig Jones coming in for Nicky Adams and the suspended Jim McNulty. There was also a change in formation with Bury lining up in 4-4-2 instead of their usual 4-4-2 system.


The opening of the game was an end-to-end affair with chances for both sides inside two minutes. First, Andrew Tutte found himself in plenty of space on the edge of the area and curled the ball towards goal, only to see his effort hit the bar and cleared from danger. From the resulting phase of play Paris Cowan-Hall found himself one-on-one with Rob Lainton but he dragged his shot wide of the goal.


Lainton was called into action shortly after the Cowan-Hall shot when he produced a smart save to deny Sam Wood from 20 yards out before Peter Murphy wasted a golden chance for Wycombe. The ball fell kindly to him in the box and he completely missed the ball, unmarked on the six yard line.


However it was the Shakers who finished the first half on top with Matt Ingram on hand to prevent the Chairboys going into half time 1-0 down. A flowing counter attack, started by Pablo Mills in his own half, saw the ball land at the feet of Danny Mayor inside the Wycombe area but his shot lacked the power it needed to bulge in the back of the net and Ingram was able to parry it away.


Early in the second half Wycombe goalkeeper Ingram hit a clearance straight to Danny Rose but Sido Jombati defended well and prevented the former Barnsley man from getting a shot away to keep up his consecutive scoring record.


With 60 minutes on the clock Wycombe striker Steven Craig suffered a neck injury after a heavy fall whilst contesting for the ball and it resulted in eleven minutes of added time in the second half after he was treated on the pitch by paramedics.


Five minutes into the additional minutes and Wycombe came close to scoring a winner twice in a matter of seconds. A dramatic goalmouth scramble saw both Peter Murphy and Matt McClure head against the bar from a few yards out but the woodwork came to the rescue for Bury.


The final chance of the game fell to substitute Nicky Adams after he played a one-two with Nathan Cameron before firing a wicked effort just past the outside of the post.


Shortly after that the whistle was blown to signal full time leaving Bury in 6th position in SkyBet League Two, a place behind Wycombe, and five league games unbeaten going into Saturday’s game against Carlisle.

Advertisement block