Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: U18s v Walsall

23 March 2015

Bury under-18s made it 14 games unbeaten in the league with a hard fought win over Walsall.

Bury youth team, kept their title hopes alive with an 87th minute winner at Walsall on Saturday. The win made sure that they stayed on the heels of Rochdale who overtook the youngsters during the week.

The first half was a very even affair throughout the match with limited chances being created for either team.

Walsall had the first proper chance of the match with a shot on target from the edge of the 18 yard box. Jack Ruddy easily averted danger with a low save.

The game carried on with very few chances, although Bury looked the more likely to score playing good football around the box with Walsall standing strong to stop it going any further.

The game sparked to life on the 28th minute when George Miller was pulled down in the box, after being played into a good position by Brayden Shaw.

Bury were awarded the penalty, Anthony Dudley stepped up to take. He put the penalty calmly straight down the middle with the ‘keeper going left to make it 1-0 for the young Shakers.

However, the Saddlers responded straight away on the 33rd minute to make sure they were going in at half time on an equal footing at 1-1.

The Shakers came out with a point to prove in the second half, looking the dominant side while limiting the chances Walsall were given.

Bury got their first real chance on the 52nd minute when Miller did brilliantly while in the box to get the ball back to Scott Burgess who’s shot went just over the crossbar.

Burgess had another shot from the edge of the box, which this time stung the palms of the Walsall ‘keeper.

On the 66th minute, Jack Ruddy saved what looked like a certain goal when Walsall’s striker got played into a one-on-one situation. Ruddy came out to put pressure on the player who’s shot was saved by the right foot of the commanding ‘keeper.

George Miller had a great chance to score from header on 82 minutes from a great Sam Gibson cross, but his header went agonisingly wide.

Bury kept pressing and pressing to get the winning goal, and it came on the 87th minute with a shot from just inside the box by Anthony Dudley. 

Sam Gibson did well on the left wing to cross the ball into Dudley and help his team get the much deserved win.

The performance from the lads was tremendous and everyone in the squad went home in a jubilant mood with the three points.

Play your part - 3 Games for £30 - don't miss it
Click here for full details - Click here to buy online

Watch highlights of the match here:

Advertisement block