Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers keep momentum

18 March 2015

A Tom Soares goal keep the Shakers on track

Bury closed the gap on the automatic promotion places to just four points with a 1-0 win away at York City on Tuesday evening.

Tom Soares’ 9th minute strike was enough to secure the three point for the Shakers, who move up to 4th place in SkyBet League Two.

David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven from Saturday’s 1-0 win against Mansfield whilst Adam El-Abd returned from his one match suspension to take up a place on the bench, replacing Brayden Shaw.

The attacking intent from the away side was clear to see as they came close to an opener inside the first five minutes of the match. Tom Soares crossed to the near post and Danny Mayor beat York goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik in the air but saw his goal bound header cleared almost on the line by Marvin McCoy.

It wasn’t long until Bury opened the scoring though, as Soares added his fifth goal of the season with nine minutes on the clock. Kelvin Etuhu won the ball in his own half and travelled 30 yards before spreading the play out wide to the onrushing Joe Riley. The former Bolton full back spotted the run of Soares and picked him out with a perfectly weighted pass with Soares applying the finish from ten yards to give the Shakers the lead.

The waves of Bury attacks continued as they consistently picked apart the York defence but couldn’t add a second goal as Bobby Olejnik’s goal lived a charmed life.

The home side’s one and only chance of the first half came in the 38th minute from a Michael Coulson corner. The York winger swung the ball into the six yard area and was met by the unmarked Emile Sinclair, but his first time effort skimmed off the side of his foot and out for a goal kick.

Shortly after the chance Nathan Cameron picked up his 10th yellow card of the season for kicking the ball away, meaning he will now be suspended for two games and he will miss the home games against Northampton and Southend.

There was one final chance before the half time whistle and it fell to Bury. Nicky Adams found himself clear on goal with only Bobby Olejnik to beat but fired his effort over the bar and the away side went into half time with a one goal advantage.

The start of the second half was a fast paced one with both teams creating chances in the opening ten minutes. First Danny Mayor pulled the trigger on the half turn, only to see his effort flash past Olejnik’s post before York’s Shaq Coulthirst headed over after beating Nick Pope in an aerial battle.

The home side continued to push for an equaliser but were unable to find a way past an impressive Bury defence. Kelvin Etuhu put in a goal saving tackle as Diego De Girolamo attempted to pull the trigger from the edge of the area before Brad Halliday tried his luck from distance but his shot was straight down the throat of Nick Pope.

The Shakers responded well to York’s attempted resurgence and nearly extended their lead in the 81st minute. Full back Joe Riley went on a 20 yard mazy run, dribbling past three or four York defenders, before seeing his shot go the wrong side of the post and out for a goal kick.

Five minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and it was the Minstermen who came closest to getting a goal in it. Substitute Jake Hyde beat the offside trap and rounded goalkeeper Nick Pope before aiming a left footed shot towards goal, only to see it go the wrong side of the post and into the side netting.

The full time whistle sounded shortly after the chance and secured Bury’s fourth away win in a row, the first time it’s happened the promotion season of 2010/11. The result also means that it is now six wins from seven games in the league ahead of Saturday’s clash with Northampton Town at the JD Stadium.

Advertisement block