Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers Soar with Soares

3 March 2015

Eighth minute Tom Soares header collects three points

Bury made it six games unbeaten in SkyBet League Two with a 1-0 win against Luton Town at the JD Stadium on Tuesday evening.


Tom Soares scored the only goal of the game in the 9th minute as the Shakers claimed their fourth win in a row and moved up to 5th in the league, level on points with Luton and Southend.


David Flitcroft named an unchanged starting eleven from the 2-0 win against Plymouth at the weekend and also kept the same the same bench from the weekend’s victory at Home Park.


Bury started out on the front foot and created two chances within the opening five minutes. First, Kelvin Etuhu headed just over the bar from Chris Hussey’s cross before the Shakers had a goal disallowed for offside. Elliot Justham spilled Danny Mayor’s low shot into the path of Nicky Adams, who applied the finish from close range but it was disallowed as he strayed offside.


The reprieve for the away side didn’t last long though as Tom Soares opened the scoring in the 9th minute. Chris Hussey received the ball on the overlap and floated a cross to the back post and Soares rose above his marker before planting the ball in the back of the net to give Bury an early advantage.


The Shakers continued to apply pressure on the Luton defence and their penalty appeals were waved away by referee Scott Duncan after Tom Soares was tripped in the box before a header from Nathan Cameron was cleared off the line.


Andrew Tutte was next in line to go close for Bury as his 25 yard free kick flew into the side netting before Luton tested Nick Pope for the first time in the 44th minute. Luke Guttridge hit a ferocious first time shot  that took a nick off Adam El-Abd and Pope pulled off a fantastic one handed save to ensure Bury went into half time with a slender lead.


The second half started slow with Luton pushing for an equaliser early on but failed to test Nick Pope in the Bury goal. David Flitcroft made his first substitution in the 65th minute as Ryan Lowe replaced Danny Nardiello for his first appearance since the 17th February.


Substitute Lowe was involved in the action straight away as he darted into the box and latched onto an Andrew Tutte through ball before flashing an effort across the face of goal and out for a goal kick.


Pope then pulled off another fantastic save three minutes after the Lowe chance as he denied Luke Guttridge at the back post. Alex Lawless burst down the right and centred for Mark Cullen, who was unable to stretch far enough to reach the ball and it fell kindly for Guttridge at the back post. He hit a first time effort towards the bottom left hand corner and Pope stuck out a leg and managed to parry it out for a corner to keep his clean sheet intact.


As the second half came to a close Luton flooded bodies in search for an equaliser but were constantly denied by the Bury defence. Three minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and Luton had one final chance with the last kick of the game. Cameron McGeehan rose highest from a deep cross and saw his header pushed around the post by Pope, his third impressive save of the night.


The final whistle sounded almost immediately after and Bury secured their fourth win in a row to move them up to 5th in SkyBet League Two, level on points with Luton but behind on goal difference.

Advertisement block